Need advice on modelling base on a real life photo please (NOT photo match function)

modeling

Hi, first time posting here and hopefully I am posting at the right place for discussion!

So first of all, i know form the topic that i just created, people would immediately relate to issue regarding photo match function, but i am actually looking help for something else.

above is a link relating to 3d software Blender, starting about (1:40), he talks about how to model base on an existing real life image, most importantly, the video shares a tip about this add-on “Blam” in which it helps to calculate the perspective of the image and help the artist to get the right perspectives and angles.

i know blender and sketch up are completely different software but i am looking for an answer whether sketch up can do similar thing? i know photo match can do part of it but it only works on image with certain perspective.

if i would like to model from an real life image where the camera is facing directly to its front face. is there a possible way to do it?

for example, if i was to create a model base on a photo like this, how is it possible to get the right perspective and depth of view without having its floor plan?

i been looking for answer on internet and youtube but all i can get is the photo match tutorial which is not really what i am looking for. Would be much appreciated if anyone can provide any info.

thanks heaps!!

I’ve seen Andrew’s blender video, but blam is in essence an equivalent to photomatch in so far as you need perspective lines to work from.

Knowing the camera lens the photo you are using can help eliminate trying to figure that out, but finding lines is then still useful.

Another approach which is a bit more hit and miss would be to have your partial model made and then load your reference photo as a “watermark” in the background. This will keep a constant of that image while you orbit around, change angles focal length etc until your model looks right against the image.

the image you show as an example has lines from the brick courses to the back wall.

thanks a lot for the reply!

I am currently using the watermark method you mentioned as well. Sometimes i find it a bit inefficient to do it that way in a sense that I would have to trail and error for quite some times in order to get it look right, but still not perfectly match, but I am also glad to learn that I am not the only one using this method! lol I always thought if its just me to do it in this way or if theres some hidden function or some plug-in that can make this process faster or more efficient.

but anyways thanks for your reply!

not ideal, but this is what i got.

tricky pm.skp (1.9 MB)

oh this looks good! thank you, i looked at your model but realized the water mark wont hide even if i clicked the water mark button, you seemed to be doing it in a different way than i do.

would you mind elaborate the steps you have taken to achieve this result? that would be very helpful.

thanks heaps!!

Sorry for confusion. In this instance I used photomatch, so what you see isn’t a watermark but the semi-transparent image for the photomatch process.
I used the red lines on the brick mortar lines on the left and then the green lines on the window wall. As you say, those non diverging lines make it hard to get right, so I usually get one right and make sure the yellow horizon is level then adjust the other until the blue vertical axis is right. I had put the origin in the far left bottom corner.

While it is still a harder make when the lines are not diverging. In this particular instance, if you look at the pinterest post, it does show some other views of the space, so by using multiple photomatch tabs you could get it more accurate.

Also wanted to mention that with photomatch invoking the push/pull tool on surfaces that can’t be seen directly can be started with one click on that surface by orbiting to it, then select the scene tab (with the pp tool still active) to get back to the photomatch view, and then continue moving the push/pull tool. This is often a useful way to work out volumes. guides can be handy but i find this easier.

Thank you so much Steve!

Now I get what you mean, I looked at your model again and entered the photo match mode and saw how you lined u the perspective lines.

Thanks for all the illustrations and even modeled it out to explain! You r the champ!! :grinning:

It really helps!