Need a Mouse that can Orbit and Pan

Oh it would be so great if something just worked out for a change. Thanks so much Gully!

Middle button is usually the actual mouse wheel, and the button Box refers to is an additional one. I have a Zone Touch mouse for my laptop and I use the SetPoint driver for that, and I have set the second middle button (actually the back end of the touch area) to go to the Windows 8 Startup screen to clear the front part to the actual middle button function.
On my desktop I use an old Logitech wired wheel mouse without any Logitech software.

Anssi

I hate to belabor this but perhaps I can help @studiodesign or someone with a mouse like or similar to mine, a Logitech M560.
Clearly not everyoneā€™s pointers are alike or can be configured in the same way.

Below are the settings in setpoint that are used in every thing except Sketchup.

Hereā€™s where the mouse can be customized for SU. Obviously, these are settings that I prefer and you can use any shortcut keys you like.

In case it went by too quickly, hereā€™s the box where you can add a program for customization.

Shep

By default, press down on the middle wheel and hold to get the orbit tool. By default, press the spacebar to get pan.

I managed to get it to orbit after spending several hours on this today; I still canā€™t get it to pan. Iā€™ve tried doing as Shep outlined but no go for panning; SU is listed among other programs (word, excel, etc.) in the configure screen and I clicked on it; then tried configuring buttons (except the middle button which is the one I got to orbit); still no pan. What word are they using to describe ā€œpanā€ anyway? Why canā€™t they just call it ā€œpanā€? Also, She, is ā€œAddā€ highlighted in yellow because I need to add SU even if itā€™s already listed? When I click on Add, I get another screen and I have no idea what to do there. I think Iā€™ll have to give up on this but thank you so much everyone for pitching in.

I use the shift key with the middle button to pan (rarely). Sorry the mouse got the better of you. Perhaps your next mouse will be more agreeable.

Shep

To customize Logitech mouse buttons for SU tools, you need to assign the keyboard shortcut for the SU tool to the mouse button.

There are two ways to find keyboard shortcuts in SU. Open the menus in SU to see assigned shortcuts alongside the function in the menu. In the case of Pan, open the Camera menu. By default, Space (the keyboard spacebar) is listed. To look up shortcuts and customize your own shortcuts, go to Window > Preferences > Shortcuts.

BTW, Shep mentioned using Orbit +Shift to get the Pan tool. Switch to the Orbit tool and look down at the status bar. Often tool tips appear in the status bar. And for the Orbit tool, one of the tips is using the Shift keyboard modifier with the Orbit tool to temporarily switch to Pan. You donā€™t need to assign a shortcut to the mouse.

is that for the actual Pan Tool? [ thatā€™s different on a mac āŒ˜R ]

I alway use the modifier key for pan which Instructor on a mac statesā€¦,

Orbit Tool
Rotate camera about model.
Tool Operation
Click anywhere in drawing area.
Move cursor in any direction to rotate around center of drawing area.
Modifier Keys
Shift = Pan Tool
Option = Suspend gravity (do not try to keep vertical edges up and down)
Click to learn about more advanced operationsā€¦

@catamountain sorry the time lagged cross posting ā€¦

john

Eureka! Using the shift key with the middle button - which Iā€™d totally by happenstance got to orbit - worked! It panned. I am no longer pan-less. I am panning like a pro. Not to mention orbitting with wild abandon. Thank you everyone who replied to this post.

1 Like

Space bar usually takes you to the Select tool. Shift+press mouse wheel pans.

Anssi

By the way - this is a default behaviour for any mouse, being it Logitech or anything else. Middle button (dedicated or wheel press) and Shift+Middle button.

I suppose you got confused with mouse configuration and went into a wrong (and much more difficult) route. Everything works straight away without any additional configuration.

I can get ā€œpanā€ with a chord on my Logitech Trackman Marble (stock windows driver) by pressing the scroll wheel (aka ā€œmiddle mouse buttonā€) and the left click button. At that point, my trackball movements pan instead of orbit. ā€“ Totally one handed!

1 Like

Which is the default for any normal mouse.

I love my Performance Mouse MX so much that I wore it out and bought another (button started sticking after 3 years) It is accurate on a glass desk, too!

I assign middle click to a thumb button to orbit. This makes it ridiculously easy to navigate my models.

Thanks Jason. Now that Iā€™ve got my mouse to orbit, Iā€™m enjoying the ease of navigation too. And it only took me 4 years to get figure out I needed the mouse to orbit and pan! All this time doing it the hard way. Oh well.

I use the Logitech ā€œAnywhere MXā€ mouse with my MacBook Pro. It actually has seven buttons, as well as the scroll wheel. Each button can be programmed for different functions for each application, as well as default settings for those apps for which you have not programmed the device. Iā€™ve been quite happy with it.

Hey studiodesign, I think what you are looking for is built in to Sketchup already!

Click down on the scroll button and the left mouse button at the same timeā€¦PAN!

The only trick, really, is that you need to get used to having your index finger on the left mouse button, middle finger controlling the scroll wheel, and the third finger on the right-click button.

Scroll button, scrolling = ZOOM
Scroll button, click = ORBIT
Scroll button, click + left button click = PAN

BTW, you have to click the middle wheel down first, then click the left button, it only works in that sequence.

MX Anywhere 2 mouse setup for Sketchup on iMac:
Download and Open Logitech Options Software
With settings set to ā€œDefaultā€ program these buttons as follows:
Program Gesture Button as ā€œMiddle Buttonā€ (not the scroll wheel)
Program Back Button (left side rear) as ā€œModifiersā€, ā€œShiftā€

With this setup, you can press the Gesture Button which is now programmed as the middle button to Orbit and you can press the rear side button which was the back button along with the middle button (orbit) to pan. It works well and you donā€™t have to use the keyboard and press shift anymore to pan. I find it easier to program the rear button as the shift rather than the front button; I can press the two together easier than the front button, however, if you prefer, you can program the front button if it feels easier to you.

Using an M570 with setpoint in specific application mode for SU I used the following keystroke assignments; back button - o, forward button - h, middle button - esc. When I escape out of pan or orbit I am back to my original tool. I works for me but I am a very inexperienced user so it may not be ideal for everyone. It was the only thing I could get to work with set-point. Years ago when I played with SU I had X-mouse (free mouse utility) with the M570 and was able to configure it more like the usual way it is supposed to work.