Move view horizontally and vertically

Hello everybody,

unfortunately I could not find any advice how to move a object horizontally and vertically without changing the position of the axle in which I move.:
grafik grafik
The example show the move from the object from right to left. The position of the measure was fixed.

Only using manual funktion grafik does never bring a 100% correct result. Maybe there is a short-cut or addon that fix the position of the axle.
In fact the short cut should allow me only to move the object horizontally. (In addition same function for vertical move will be great.)
Any idea is welcome!

Best regards

Bernhard
(Please excuse my poor english)

Hello. Do you want to move the object around (use arrow keys to lock axis)?

Or do you want to move the camera relative to the objects position?

Thank you endlessfix,

as displayed I only need to move the camera (view). The measure tape was fixed on my screen and I moved “the object” only with the help of the hand-buttom (left mouse key). So also blue axle moved to the left. Unfortunately it is very difficult (impossible) not to change position of the red axle. Any ideas?

Best regards

Bernhard

Ah, I see. You are trying to move the camera precisely relative to the objects in the model. I can’t think of why this would be necessary? There is not a way that I know of to quickly restrict the moment of the orbit or pan function to only one axis.
However, if you really need to do this for some reason, I think you might possibly leverage the Advanced Camera Tools extension to set up cameras that pan precisely in one axis. I don’t use it, but as I understand it this extension allows you to make cameras and assign them as truck or pedestal and to move the cameras precisely using the arrow keys on your keyboard.

Introducing the Advanced Camera Tools | SketchUp Blog.

Or another approach, restricting the mouse input to one axis with other software or settings.

1 Like

Dear endlessfix,

thank you very very much!!! I installed Advanced Camera Tools which unfortunately do not run on my system (WIN8.1+SU2019Pro). In fact it will not be displayed.
But " Disable Mouse Movement on One Axis" runs well! You only have to use mouse slowly and it works perfect for me!
You are wondering for what I will use it. I need to draw many different beams. Different length and different height. All drawings will be printed by LO and I use a template in LO. Because of different dimensions of the beams I always have a lot of work for to scale 4 views on LO. (Displaying left end and right end of the beams).
Now I can easily move the object (view) in SU so that it ends in the middle of the screen. Update the scene and send it to LO. At this moment this seems to be the fastest way for to create a 3-side view of the drawing.

Your idea is really simple and best!! Thanks a lot!

Best regards from Switzerland

Bernhard

1 Like

An example scenario where camera control of all sorts is important: creating animations.

1 Like