Move in wasd

Ok Ok, calm down. First off, @DaveR has forgotten more about modeling in 3D than you are likely to learn, I’m sure he knows what wasd controls are.

I have never played halo, and I don’t know what forge is, nor do I make sweet bases. I do design and model things both large and small in 3D all day long professionally. And, nobody trying to model seriously would want to use wasd controls to actively model. Maybe for viewing a completed model for VR purposes but not to model. SketchUp navigation controls are similar to other CAD packages because this is the best way of working. The three wheel mouse controls work beautifully, when you know them.

Think of it like this; SketchUp is a new game, with new controls you need to learn. Not a run and gun, but more like a cross between a spaceship simulator and puzzle. Standing on the ground and being limited to walking around would be crazy slow and limited thinking, this is the matrix construct we are in, we can do anything here. You want to move quickly and precisely from one side of a huge model to another in seconds, You want to flip your model over and work on the bottom, then fly inside of it and change something small from the inside, you want to shrink a whole house down to fit in you hand and spin it around to work on different sides then fly through the walls to a specific room and adjusting something tiny, then jump back and see how the house fits into the whole neighborhood.

This is the kind of 3D flying control that is necessary to be good at modeling cleanly and quickly, and it takes a scroll wheel mouse in one hand and the modifier keys in the other. At the end of the day driving SketchUp well is very much like a game, and one can get very good at it. But it’s not intuitive at first and you have to practice.

3 Likes