Most reliable .skp to .dxf extension?

I’ve been using the free version of SketchUp that currently does not support .skp to .dxf conversion. I have seen extensions offered that can perform this function. I would like to consult the expertise on this forum for suggestions as to which extensions have been shown to be the most reliable.

Thanks JJ

the function of most exporters works as the author intended for his/her needs…

your definition of ‘function’ and ‘reliable’ may vary extensively…

rephrasing your question to include your end usage and expectations may help you obtain better advice…

an Architect, an Engineer, a Graphics Designer or a 3D print hobbyist may all want very different dxf exports…

but testing them all for your needs is probably best…

john

1 Like

How about closest to the reliability of SketchUp-Pro’s own built-in Export.
Of course I could try testing and the possible offerings, but forums generally have persons who have already done so. Therefore, rather then re-inventing the wheel, I was first hoping that some of the experts on the Forum, who may already have some experience with some of the subject third-party extensions, would be willing to share that expertise - was I expecting too much?

for many the Pro exporter is fine, other people need different things for different purposes…

I have written and assisted other writing custom dxf importers and exporters…

sorry if I’m not expert, but you still haven’t stated your intended use…

In my opinion all of the available exporters do everything they set out to do, but that doesn’t help you much…

this is not a one way street, if you provide more detailed information then people are able to respond accordingly…

john

Thanks for the suggestion of pro-exporter; I’ll check it out. It’s difficult to anticipate the various uses I will need, as I only had the 30 day trial experience with SketchUp’s built-in .dxf exporter. However, in that time I was able to export 2D, 3D and parallel-projection files and successfully use them in Aspire for CNC purposes. I am simply looking for something at least as good as SketchUp’s own.

Thanks again for your help :slightly_smiling:

JJ

P.S. Do you have a link to the “Pro Exporter” site?

I think John was referring to the exporter that is included with SketchUp Pro.

1 Like

yes, the Pro exporter, is the SU one…

but we’ve narrowed down your requirements, exporting 2D for CAM…

have a look on Sketchucation for ones with that criteria, there are a couple the escape me at 1am local time…

mostly, it’e about the individual machine requirements and I always import an example from the machine and match it’s settings…

i.e. layers, line colors, etc…

for that type of work even the old ‘guitar list’ version can be setup well…

@jim_foltz is probably the expert around here as he’s written a few…

john

Yes, I guess I didn’t make it clear enough that I was looking for a third-party alternative to the one built-in-to SketchUp; as I only have the free SketchUp version the the Pro-exporter turns into a “pumpkin” at the end of the 30 day trial period.
And you are also correct, 2D with parallel-projection is my principal concern for conversion for use in Aspire.

Thanks again for your help.

JJ

The web site says Aspire can import .skp files directly. Does this not work, or maybe not work for your work-flow?

Yes, we tried that about a year ago, and it didn’t convert very well for our workflow. We are also going to revisit that, as there is a new version of Aspire, but the specified improvements didn’t specifically address our issue.
Also, Aspire is only one software we’d like compatibility with, there are others, and dxf seemed like a good common format.

Thanks for your input.

JJ