Modeling the International Space Station

Modeling the International Space Station (ISS), live in SketchUp! Join us!!

2020-08-28T18:00:00Z

Join us on YouTube, Facebook, or Twitch!

@TDahl ?

An ambitious subject! Basic layout of the modules, back-bone truss, and solar arrays would be a good start.I don’t have any plans or dimensioned drawings of the modules, but some of that can probably be found on-line.

Scale 1:100 drawings available on nasa website

1 Like

Via that site I found, and upscaled, this image.

Wow! Have you a spare 23 hours? You could start with this …

1 Like

Coincidentally, I have been modelling the ISS this week. Here are a few views of my model.

12 Likes

Also some useful dimensions.
Length of main truss: 93m
Truss cross section: WxH 2.3 x 2.8m
Main Solar Panel (single): 33.2 x 4.7m not including truss (8 pairs)
Smaller Solar Panels: 23x10.6 (each set of three x2)
Smallest solar panels: 13.3x3.3m (four in total)
Diameter main modules: 4.5m (limited by shuttle bay size)
Length of modules: JEM=9.8m (not. Incl. external platform). US=8.3m PMM=6.0m Columbus=6.0m PMM=6.0m Node1=6.0m Node2=6.6m FGB=9.8m

3 Likes

don’t forget to model the C.O.L.B.E.R.T module…

So, I think the hope is… that is just a lot of the same parts so components will speed the process along.

Lets start a running poll, how many times will “greeblies” be said during the chat.

1 Like

That will be Node 3, I suppose I could model the Combined Operational Load Bearing External Resistance Treadmill inside it …:grin:

Greeblies will be said about 10^6 times :grin: In a 2 hour stream I would start with the main truss, add the US modeule and go from there. Simple! I have uploaded my ISS model to the warehouse under the name Lawrence C. Just for fun, here is the ISS compared to the Titanic.!

3 Likes

Seems that the ISS lounge has no room for a grand piano.

2 Likes

Or a bar, restaurant, promenade deck. But I suppose standing on the edge of the solar panel truss while orbiting at 26,000 km/h shouting “I’m the king of the world” would be much more epic. Just for S&G here is a modern cruise liner added.

3 Likes

One of the better (larger) diagrams that I found that doesn’t already feature on this thread.

There’s some incredible detail in these NASA photos. Just in case you, you know, run out of things to model tonight!

5 Likes

I’m going to say this one is pretty ambitious, but if the overall model is simplified some I’m sure it is within reach for a couple hours or modeling.

1 Like

OMG! I recommended this on Facebook last week. So excited!!!

1 Like

Maybe this one will help.International_Space_Station_after_undocking_of_STS-132