Modeling Machine Parts Live with Aaron!

This Friday Aaron will be modeling machine parts from cad drawings, live!

2021-04-23T18:00:00Z

Join us on YouTube, Facebook, or Twitch!

3 Likes

What? No sample drawings?

2 Likes

Sorry @andybster … you guys model so fast I have to wait until the last minute to post so you don’t post you finished models before I start streaming!

6 Likes

LOL, Aaron.

I started at the bottom of the list. Sorry.

1 Like

For the small arc of part 931 between an arc and a straight line, see here:

http://www.manufacturinget.org/2011/07/arc-tangent-to-a-line-and-an-arc/

1 Like

@TheOnlyAaron did you add the draft angle on the outside?

2 Likes

2 Likes

I did not! I think I was flustered by the issue with the arc and for out off there as quick as I could!

2 Likes

Understood. Did you get the 2-point Arc tool to work later or did you go do something else afterward. It was good to at least hear Matt and have him providing the color commentary.

1 Like

It worked just fine on the next model… very weird!

Yeah! It’s great to have Matt back!

2 Likes

Hello @TheOnlyAaron - what a perfect source of learning material from that StudyCadCam site.

If anyone else is interested in nailing the rest of them, I have just downloaded the whole package, and serving it from here:

So, one per day, starting now with number 1… :rofl:

Thanks. Here’s one from that site after you posted.

2 Likes

Hi Lukasz, hi folks.

Thank you for the 1004 parts to be modelled. This will occupy my free time for many hours, no, days, no, weeks, no months, OK years.

This reminds me my courses in industrial drawing/drafting/drawing reading when studying engineering, in 1973-1974.

3 Likes

What will it become if you make them all and assemble? Or are they teasing young people with parts that don’t fit together?

2 Likes

In part 971 and I guess the other models too which I have not drawn yet you did not address the radius on the interior corners. If you look on the DWG for 971 they all have a 1mm radius. Not too difficult with two faces that meet at a corner but three faces is tricky and the radius around the boss for the 7mm hole on the back that carries on into the gusset and then down on to the top face of the base how do you do that with native tools or is it not possible. I had problems with FredoCorner trying to do this. If either balked and threw up a bug report or it left gaping holes in the geometry it created.

It’s not too difficult to do that. In this case I didn’t with native tools. Easiest way to do it is make the radii very slightly different. It’s very tiny but the radius for the fillet at the bottom is very slightly more than 1.

The slightly trickier part is connecting the fillet across the bottom of the angled buttress. You can’t just run Follow Me around the corner. A separate fillet drawn and pushed through the first, Intersect Faces, and a wee bit of erasure takes care of it, though.
Screenshot - 7_21_2022 , 7_45_09 AM

Kind of hard to show the whole thing in a single image but it’s there.
Screenshot - 7_21_2022 , 7_53_53 AM

Oops! Missed adding the notch detail at the bottom. Fixt.
Screenshot - 7_21_2022 , 9_19_26 AM

4 Likes

Thanks. I see that it can be done but it’s not something I think I can manage yet. Practice brings proficiency though so not giving up.

Right now I need to master lofting to make some parts I need.

1 Like