Mesh tin from straight lined contours

I am sorry if I am repeating myself from a post that I made a few months back. But wondering if anyone has been able to create a quality mesh from straight lined engineered topography lines. I have not found a good way to do them other than drawing all of the faces by hand. Which I do not have time for. Just wondering if anyone knows about any way to create them. Any advice would be great.

Thanks.

Have you tried the Sandbox From Contours Tool?

I have tried from contours, tig cloud triangulation, and toposhaper. None can handle the straight lined contours. It can not trangulate.

Forgive my ignorance, but can you give an example of “straight lined engineered topography lines”?

From there someone may be able to come up with a solution for you.

The first image is of the straight lined engineered contour lines. The second is the mesh that I generated from contours (sandbox tools) Just wondering if there are any other ways to create a mesh that works with straight lines rather that curved organic contours. I have tried all of the basic terrain tools like sandbox, toposhaper and cloud triangulation. Just wondering if there is anything else available out there.

Does anyone know how to generate vertices along contours (lines) and then I could create a triangulation tin from the vertices?

Then hopefully smooth out the mesh.

Do you have an example of what you are trying to create?

I do not recall if these will work on batch basis but the Bezier tools have types of curves that will add the control points on the line and Fredo’s tools has some in his tool sets that will do the similar. You could also just use the native tool divide line to add vertices since each line is at the same elevation but my question is: Then what? The data is what you would want to derive from the contour map.
What does data look like if you add some cutting planes so elevation points can plotted and what does that look like, PICS are not very good for the question you are asking? Or it is way under sampled and Nyquist will be spinning in his grave.:smiling_imp:
You final post of Sept 2016 seems to indicate things were ok and some of the post indicates you had better data so why are we here??
The data you have presented and appears under sampled so how you get a quality mesh? If you take the “better” data set you have it is probably possible to interpolate that to get more data points but then what criteria is used to say it is better is???. I think Fredo uses a cubic spline interpolated in some of his tools so maybe ask him??

This code snippet will do that.

@mod = Sketchup.active_model
@ent = @mod.active_entities
@sel = @mod.selection
@vue = @mod.active_view
value = UI.inputbox([“Minimum Spacing”],[2.feet],“Edges to Points”)
if value
spc = value[0]
@mod.start_operation "Edges2Cloud"
edges = @sel.grep(Sketchup::Edge)
verts = edges.map{|e|e.vertices}.flatten.uniq.map{|v|v.position}
for e in edges
next if e.length<spc2
p,v = e.line; cnt = (e.length/spc).floor; del = e.length/cnt
1.upto(cnt){|x| verts.push p.offset(v,del
x)}
end
verts.each{|v|@ent.add_cpoint(v)}
@ent.erase_entities(edges.reverse)
@mod.commit_operation
end

copy and paste into the Ruby Console and press Enter to execute
It will ask for a minimum spacing between points along each selected edge.

I believe I figured out a decent way of doing all of this. It is just time consuming. I took the engineered lines and broke them into vertices using 1001 bit tools construction points. Then I turned off all of the lines. THen from the points I ran Tigs Triangulation extension. The final result was close as it did just enough to get me going. I am having to go in and manually grade the high points and low points of my high walls but it is starting to look really good. It was a small victory figuring out this project work flow. It will be perfect for what the client is wanting. Thank you all for the comments and if you want to shed any light on the matter feel free.

This topic was automatically closed after 91 days. New replies are no longer allowed.