Medeek Wall

You could change the layers (using the API) after inserting the predefined components.

1 Like

I suppose that is true. I will give this consideration.

Version 2.6.0 - 12.18.2021

• Converted the wall preset system to a Hash data structure.
  • Wall presets are common to all wall configurations: Rectangular, Gable, Shed and Hip.
  • The draw and edit menus for all wall configurations have been combined into a single, unified system.
  • Walls can be converted between any configuration within the wall edit menu (ie. Gable → Hip).

With some trepidation I release this update. Some very serious under-the-hood stuff is what this update is all about. I modified over 25 files with this latest upgrade and even after a full day of testing it is still impossible to for me to say whether I might have broken something inadvertently. Only time and more testing will determine if further bug fixes might be in store.

!!! CAUTION !!!
Before moving to this latest version of the plugin you will want to first delete all of your Rectangular Wall Presets. The new system is not compatible with prior wall presets (wall presets only). Also all of your wall presets stored for Gable, Shed or Hip walls will simply be ignored with this update since wall presets are now shared among all wall configurations.

The really good news is that one can convert walls from gable to rectangular and any other combination and back again. The plugin just got a lot more flexible and powerful.

The even better news is that if I do add more features to the walls the new preset system should allow for backwards compatibility, which means we no longer have to keep deleting and recreating wall presets when new features are added.

You will also notice that you can now create all wall configurations in polyline mode and switch back and forth between wall configurations as you are wrapping around the exterior of the structure.

P.S.
It just occurred to me that the wall copy tool can probably now include the other wall types (gable, shed and hip). I will be looking at this later today.

6 Likes

Version 2.6.0b - 12.18.2021

• Updated the Wall Copy Tool to include gable, shed and hips wall types.

The wall copy tool does not allow for changing from one wall type to another (ie. gable → rectangular → shed -.> hip etc…) Whatever the wall configuration is, it will be retained. However other more commonly modified parameters such as wall cladding etc… can be copied from any wall type to any another.

I may want to rethink this down the road but for now it appears to make sense to me.

3 Likes

Version 2.6.0c - 12.19.2021

• Fixed a bug with the Wall Copy Tool.

This addresses a bug wherein you cannot sample the properties of a non-rectangular wall with the Wall Copy Tool.

!!! Attention !!!
Recommended update if you just installed 2.6.0 or 2.6.0b.

1 Like

You’re a rock star!

2 Likes

No, I’m a workaholic, at least that is what my wife claims, but when you enjoy what you do it really isn’t work anymore. I’ll probably take few days off for Christmas this year so I keep the peace.

4 Likes

So I’ve decided to enable another option/parameter so that the standard window callout can be replaced by any custom label or text the user wants to display:

If you leave this option blank then the plugin will automatically display the standard callout. If you enter in any text/numbers etc… it will then replace the standard callout with whatever is specified here.

This parameter will not be saved with the window preset however I may change that depending on feedback.

I will enable this same feature for doors and garage doors and then release it.

2 Likes

This is super useful…
I once had to make an 80" x 72" SGD that had an actual dimension of 79.5" x 71.5" with a RO of 80" x 72". The gap between the door and the RO seems to be predefined (hope there isn’t a special setting I’ve overlooked). I had to make a SGD that was 80" x 72" just so I could copy the label, resize the door so it was actually 79.5" x 71.5", and then paste the label in the wall with the custom name, but the RO was still wrong. Alternatively, I also would hide the automatic label with a white rectangle in Layout and write the correct label on top of it. No more of that tedious nonsense! Thanks, Nathan!

1 Like

Just trying to make everyone’s life a little more hassle free.

Yes, the gap between the door casing and the RO framing is hard coded in, however that now leads me to believe that I should probably make this configurable as well somewhere in the global settings. Seems like there is always more to do.

1 Like

Version 2.6.1 - 12.21.2021

• Added a Custom Label option for Windows, Doors and Garage doors.

I’m really not sure how useful this is for most people but there have been enough people asking for this feature to warrant it in my opinion. It seems regardless of the number of options I offer there is always some custom situation which manages to evade all of the standard options so if I can provide enough flexibility within the plugins to allow for custom labels etc… then it allows the user to avoid manual edits and retain the parametric ability of the plugins.

2 Likes

Version 2.6.2 - 12.21.2021

• Added fixed - twin awning and twin awning - fixed windows to the window module.

Two more window types per customer request.

1 Like

Version 2.6.3 - 12.22.2021

• Added an additional vertical offset parameter for symbols that are positioned on the top of walls.

This update applies to the top-of-wall symbols for doors, garage doors, windows, in-wall columns, SSW’s and shearwalls.

This will allow for offsetting the symbols from the top of the wall to avoid the z-fighting with the top of the wall. By default this will be set to zero.

1 Like

Version 2.6.4 - 12.23.2021

• Added an “End Wall” dimension option for Construction Dimensions within the General tab of the Global Settings.
  • Enabled “End Wall” construction dimensioning for the window, door and garage door draw tools.

There might be a better descriptor for this parameter but “End Wall” dimension seemed to fit at the time. Basically this will allow the user to view the distance from both the start and end of the wall while inserting openings. This option is turned off by default.

2 Likes

Note the dual construction dimensions with the End Wall parameter enabled:

DRAW_WINDOW1

5 Likes

Version 2.6.4b - 12.23.2021

• Enabled “End Wall” construction dimensioning for the in-wall column, shear wall and SSW draw tools.

Just squeezing in a few last minute updates before the Christmas holiday begins.

DRAW_SW1

3 Likes

I noticed that if I set the vertical offset so that the door is raised instead of lowered, it does not punch a hole in the siding but rather notches it out, leaving a gap in the cladding.

1 Like

I will need to take a look at that.

1 Like

With the in-wall column tool I think it might be useful to have the ability to specify a holdown (HDU or strap etc…) as an advanced option.

There are situations where a post/column is in a wall and some sort of hardware is required even if it is not the terminating post of a shearwall segment.

Thoughts?

Or column base. I just had an engineer tell me to do that for two posts that are also actually the ends of the wall.

1 Like