Materials…

If I am wanting to apply a material to all four faces off a building say a cube that has walls that are 3 5/8” thick like a brick, is there a way to set a single start point for all 4 faces that is the same point in space?

And why is that no one can layout a material swatch where the coursing lines are in the right spot at the bottom. Is it so hard to make a brick pattern that would work in a 2’ wide by 8” high swatch….that would give you 3 bricks high with proper coursing and a max of 3 bricks wide. I]ts so easy.

I don’t know about your first question. I’m not sure I understand ti.
As for starting a course at the bottom. This has to do with the location of the context’s axis I think. Make a component of your brick wall face, where the red- green axes of the component are at the bottom edge.

Applying the texture on the object doesn’t give you control over the UV map as much as it would if one applies it to the faces inside that object.
As @pbacot mentions, the origin of the current context determines the position.
Once correct (the context menu will show ‘Texture > Position) on one face inside the object, one could sample it and apply to the other faces.
Where we live, I think there are thousands if not zillion different bonds and brick size variables.
Not a real ‘standard’.

Some manufacturers have texture generators for their collection of bricks where you can choose which bond, grout color and thickness etc and then download a png or jpeg.

Hi @drchitecturedsign I’m also unsure about your initial question – so I want to check to make sure you’ve found the options to position and resize textures, in case any of these capabilities are what you’re looking for.

After selecting a face that’s been textured, you’ll see the Materials sub-menu in the Context Menu toolbar, and from there you can choose the option to reposition the texture.

After dragging the Red (Move) pin to the point where you want your brick course to start, you can then tap done. Note: Dragging the Green (Scale) pin will allow you to scale the texture up to achieve the desired size of the texture tile.

Lastly, you also have the option to edit the material properties by first tapping in the Materials panel to select a material, and then tapping it a second time to edit its properties (Note: this tap-to-select and tap-again-to-edit pattern applies to Tags and Scenes too).

After sizing & positioning a texture, you can then use the Paint Bucket tool’s sample mode to sample the resized/repositioned texture and then paint it on adjacent faces.

I hope this helps!

Thanks Mike……I have done nearly all of those suggestions……the issue I think I have more often than not is that the photo-realistic images aren’t to the proper scale or aren’t coursed properly. I am working with some of the brick companies to get me some better imaging so I will se what I can come up with.

With the current library of things this has been the issue and at times we could use a nudge command or a way to use the arrow keys on the keyboard to slide a texture slowly into place.

I am also wondering, what is the modus opera do for mirroring other than the flip commands. I am always using guidelines so it’s easy to mirror and get the object right where I want it. If there is a way to mirror please let me know. On my Mac I have a few different mirror plugins that I can use.

Thanks again.

Another mirror method is to scale the object(s) by -1. Also there are Mirror plugins like TIG’s “Mirror”.

Not for the iPad @pbacot that’s the problem here. :slight_smile:

Yes, limited to just ye old native tools scale by -1.00 for mirror on the iPad (and web). You can use a guide line or some extra geometry as an aid if that’s what you mean.