Material confusion

Can you provide a sample .skp with this issue? On my Mac, if a component instance is open for edit, I can definitely select a face that has a texture and get those right-click menu items.

Edit: as @DaveR noted while I was typing, you must select only a single face, and the face must already have a material applied. You can’t rotate or position textures on multiple faces in one go (it would be ambiguous which way to manipulate all but one) and of course you can’t rotate a non-texture.

1 Like

mats

OK - I’m now starting to doubt my sanity…

I opened a recent model of a wine rack I was working on, opened a component for editing, selected a face with a material texture applied and right clicked - the menu is very short and there was only the ‘Make unique texture’ option that had the word ‘texture’ in it.

I restarted SU created a new model to duplicate what @DaveR had done and sure enough, I now have those options. And they are still present now when I open the wine rack file. Not sure what is going on here…

Maybe it’s time for me to stop playing with the computer and go and make some sawdust…

1 Like

Share the wine rack SketchUp model file. I expect there’s a perfectly sane reason for what you saw.

Forget the sawdust, grab a bottle of wine off the rack and have a glass or two…:grinning: :wine_glass:

This is a result of my quick and dirty fudge to get OpenCutList producing the parts lists. What I’ve been doing is applying the material to the component - all the faces get painted at once - OpenCutList is happy and produces my list.

Even though it looks like there is a material applied, it is not applied to each individual face and hence SU does not present the option to position the texture - see below

In my tinkering, I’ve applied materials to the faces in my wine rack model and hence the menu options now appear. Sanity restored - until next time. I guess I have to consider whether it’s worth the time painting every face on more complex components vs. my quick & dirty approach. After all the goal is to get into the workshop and start making shavings.

1 Like

A good example of haste makes waste. :wink:

best approach for nearly all modeling is to apply the materials to the faces. It doesn’t have to take a lot of time to do and it gives you better results and makes the model easier to work with as you move ahead.

As always @DaveR, you do a great job guiding us wayward folks back to the straight and narrow - which is much appreciated. And when SU2022 is released, the migration of my materials will be more straightforward now I know where they are. Cheers!

1 Like

Thanks Dave for the very informative GIF. I knew about applying texture to the faces rather then the component. Its the last couple of steps that I wasent aware of where you selected all faces, then sampled the applied textured on the first face and applied it to all faces. A real time saver. Now all I need is to snap some photos on my next trip to my hardwood supplier and build up by wood texture library.

1 Like