Mac Yosemite Memory Leak

I don’t know what happened to Sketchup suddenly is draining my all memory in seconds and CPU is running 100%, I reinstalled the program and I still have this same problem.

I’m using Sketchup 2015 PRO, Yosemite.

Can anybody help me!

Does it happen if you open SketchUp and not do any actions at all? Are any other programs also taking a lot of CPU?

No just sketchup, it doesn’t freeze or anything like that I still can work. But also when I open any SKP file I have ruby console error which looks like that:

Error: #<RangeError: integer 106102889085568 too big to convert to int'> SketchUp:1:in onOpenModel’
Error: #<RangeError: integer 106102889085568 too big to convert to int'> SketchUp:1:in onOpenModel’

If you can get your machine to beachball, you can kill it (cmd-option-escape), get a spindump, and look at it like we would to perhaps get a clue as to what’s happening? Logs are written to /Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports/ and if you’re so inclined (or have a friend that is) you can look at the spindump command in terminal. I glanced at one of mine (Firefox, not SketchUp), observed some PepperFlashPlayer things in there, and threw up in my mouth just a little bit. :smile:

-b

what render plugin do you have installed?
john

The funny thing is I can work with sketchup it doesn’t freeze I can save file but for some reasons is showing that :

1 Like

Thea Render. 1.5 updated three weeks ago

do you get the same errors with Thea disabled?
john

Yes, no change at all.

By way of comparison, my Memory column says 81.2 MB. That’s bit less than your 41.61 GB.

And I have even more-
:grinning:

And the weird thing is the fan doesn’t go mad !

If there’s an integer overflow that gives a negative number in the control section of a loop, it’s quite easy to end up in an infinite loop that will churn the CPU and bloat memory. If you can figure out which extension is causing the issue, we (or the extension developer) may be able to figure out what’s happening. I’d recommend disabling all of your extensions and then enabling them one at a time until the problem starts occurring again.

marc

Ok I’ll do it tomorrow and write it back.

Agree with @Marc - this really sounds like a runaway extension. While re-enabling, I’d start with the ones that do the simplest things, just because they are least likely to be the culprits.

I just noticed a similar error popping up in the ruby console.
I thought it was my code, so i disabled all extensions and plugins, restarted my computer even, and yet i get the following error popping up in the console whenever i open a new document or existing model.

Error: #<RangeError: integer 106652628095008 too big to convert to `int'>
SketchUp:1:in `onNewModel'

Just before i noticed this; i had been playing around with App level observers in my own plugins. Cant be sure if i ever noticed it before that

OSX Yosemite 10.10.4
SU Pro 15.3.329

I also renamed:

/Users/user/Library/Application\ Support/SketchUp\ 2015/SketchUp/Plugins 

directory to ‘~Plugins’, then restarted Sketchup …
A new plugins directory was created with sketchup default contents (4 plugins)
and then i opened the Ruby console.
then i opened a new document and saw a similar error displayed in the console

check what’s actually loading using

$LOADED_FEATURES  # or $"

in ‘Ruby Console’, does it show any rouge rubies loading from elsewhere?
john

onNewModel is an AppObserver event. You definitely still have some extension or plugin running that creates an AppObserver (SketchUp does not run any Ruby AppObservers on its own). There is a bug in that AppObserver’s onNewModel callback method.

Hi

I’ve tried to do what Marc (SketchUp Team Member) suggested but it didn’t help, so I followed official SketchUp repairing steps and that seems to be OK, what I haven’t mentioned: couple days before problem appeared I installed update for 3D Connexion mouse, I’m not 100% sure but that probably was the case of my memory leak.

Many thanks for help!

Michal

output from $LOADED_FEATURES is as follows (formatted for readability):
[
“enumerator.so”
“/Applications/SketchUp 2015/SketchUp.app/Contents/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/2.0/lib/ruby/2.0.0/x86_64-darwin12.5.0/enc/encdb.bundle”
“/Applications/SketchUp 2015/SketchUp.app/Contents/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/2.0/lib/ruby/2.0.0/x86_64-darwin12.5.0/enc/trans/transdb.bundle”
“/Applications/SketchUp 2015/SketchUp.app/Contents/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/2.0/lib/ruby/2.0.0/x86_64-darwin12.5.0/rbconfig.rb”
“/Applications/SketchUp 2015/SketchUp.app/Contents/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/2.0/lib/ruby/2.0.0/rubygems/compatibility.rb”
“/Applications/SketchUp 2015/SketchUp.app/Contents/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/2.0/lib/ruby/2.0.0/rubygems/defaults.rb”
“/Applications/SketchUp 2015/SketchUp.app/Contents/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/2.0/lib/ruby/2.0.0/rubygems/deprecate.rb”
“/Applications/SketchUp 2015/SketchUp.app/Contents/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/2.0/lib/ruby/2.0.0/rubygems/errors.rb”
“/Applications/SketchUp 2015/SketchUp.app/Contents/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/2.0/lib/ruby/2.0.0/rubygems/version.rb”
“/Applications/SketchUp 2015/SketchUp.app/Contents/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/2.0/lib/ruby/2.0.0/rubygems/requirement.rb”
“/Applications/SketchUp 2015/SketchUp.app/Contents/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/2.0/lib/ruby/2.0.0/rubygems/platform.rb”
“/Applications/SketchUp 2015/SketchUp.app/Contents/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/2.0/lib/ruby/2.0.0/rubygems/specification.rb”
“/Applications/SketchUp 2015/SketchUp.app/Contents/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/2.0/lib/ruby/2.0.0/rubygems/exceptions.rb”
“/Applications/SketchUp 2015/SketchUp.app/Contents/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/2.0/lib/ruby/2.0.0/rubygems/core_ext/kernel_gem.rb”
“/Applications/SketchUp 2015/SketchUp.app/Contents/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/2.0/lib/ruby/2.0.0/rubygems/core_ext/kernel_require.rb”
“/Applications/SketchUp 2015/SketchUp.app/Contents/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/2.0/lib/ruby/2.0.0/rubygems.rb”
“/Applications/SketchUp 2015/SketchUp.app/Contents/Resources/Content/Tools/extensions.rb”
“/Applications/SketchUp 2015/SketchUp.app/Contents/Resources/Content/Tools/langhandler.rb”
“/Applications/SketchUp 2015/SketchUp.app/Contents/Resources/Content/Tools/sketchup.rb”
“/Users/johnhowland/Library/Application Support/SketchUp 2015/SketchUp/Plugins/su_advancedcameratools.rb”
“/Users/johnhowland/Library/Application Support/SketchUp 2015/SketchUp/Plugins/su_dynamiccomponents.rb”
“/Users/johnhowland/Library/Application Support/SketchUp 2015/SketchUp/Plugins/su_sandbox.rb”
“/Users/johnhowland/Library/Application Support/SketchUp 2015/SketchUp/Plugins/su_webtextures.rb”
“/Library/Application Support/SketchUp 2015/SketchUp/Plugins/3DxSketchUp.bundle.plugin/Contents/MacOS/3DxSketchUp.bundle”
“/Library/Application Support/SketchUp 2015/SketchUp/Plugins/3DxSketchUp.rb”
]

I am using a 3Dconnexion mouse and upon temporarily renaming the directory featured in the last two entries above:“/Library/Application Support/SketchUp 2015/SketchUp/Plugins/” to “~Plugins” the error disappears … more investigation to be done though