Sketchup gets stuck frequently with spinning ball on screen

Hi, I have a problem about my model. I have been working on it for one month. Model size is 170 MB.
For a few days, a spinning wheel (spinning beach ball) appearing on my screen in every few seconds. It is like autosaving itself, but I know it is not. As far as I read on internet, I turned off autosaves, I moved my file to a folder that does not back up to cloud. Purged model… But still, in every 40-45 seconds, the colorful spinning ball appears and freeze my model.

I will be very happy if you help…

PC properties:
MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2018)
2.6 GHz 6 Core, Intel Core i7
16 GB 2400 MHz DDR4
Graphic: Radeon Pro 560X 4 GB & Intel UHD Graphics 630 1536 MB

Thank you

Maybe you’ve just ran out of memory and its swapping out to disk.

Open Activity Monitor (it’s in /Applications/Utilities) and click the Memory tab at the top of the window. Click the Memory tab to sort by memory(descending, so the highest is at the top) and have a look at what’s using the most memory. Look at the bottom of the window for memory pressure to check that it’s green. Is any swap being used? If swap is not zero, this could be what’s causing the spinning beach ball.

If you have just ran out of memory you could try closing everything else when you’re working in SketchUp.

If you’re happy to share your model, put it on Dropbox or similar and share the link. It might be something in your model that’s making SketchUp work hard.

1 Like

Thank you so much for your respond… here is my activity monitor screenshot. Actually I could not find the swap value, or swap issue… I think your memory guess is true, because I got a warning pop up about the memory today… I closed every page and every other programs… It had a slight effect on my issue but still it shows the beachball often…

I’d say it was a memory issue. SketchUp is using 7.09GB which is almost half your total RAM. The swap used is “Kullanilan Takas: 761.5MB” at the very bottom of the window.

Apple says its ok if the pressure is green, but if it swaps to disk at all, it slows things down. Swapping to an SSD will be faster than to a HD, but both are still slower than having plenty of RAM.

I don’t recognise that OOPR that’s using 2GB, but if you could do without that running it might help. Is it SketchUp Podium?

1 Like

OOPR is the name of the program that I used for render. It’s name is Sketchup Podium. It is an extension to get render. And I am using it with Sketchup…
I am now trying to upload my model file to dropbox…
About my memory issue, what do you suggest?
By the way, sorry for my language, it is not my native language…

Podium is causing the hangs…

it always does on a mac and should be disabled when your modelling and only turned on when everything is ready…

other renderers can be just as bad, particularly on a mac…

john

2 Likes