Looking for hardware recommendation. No, not computer hardware - furniture hardware!

@jvleearchitects Frankly, I’m not one that has the patience to video myself on something like this.

I’m more likely to do a detail model of why making those particular connections from the outside might be a problem, and perhaps mocking up how I plan to add pocket screws to the mix so I don’t have to use the “conformat” screws that currently holds things together. I can’t easily do that video on the actual bed/desk because the bed part is essentially blocking access. And when I do remove the bed, I’ll likely be in a hurry to add the pocket screws before dismantling the outer frame - the hurry will be to actually move in to my (as yet unbuilt) tiny home!

I love those! But I don’t think that’s what Steve is going for. It looks like he just wants a gravity drop.

As @DaveR correctly points out, I only need the hardware to move with respect to one of the two pieces it’s connecting - and the “sex bolt” (aka “barrel nut” per the hardware store where I bought some earlier this afternoon!) will fill that purpose. Plus, the machine bolts (10-24 x 1-1/4") has a 3/8" long shoulder without having to buy a more expensive bolt with a longer shoulder!

And yes, I did buy sex bolts, machine bolts and nylon washers today. My cousin and I were riding our bikes to a pig roast and he needed a piece of marine hardware for his boat. Conveniently, an ACE Hardware that specializes in marine hardware was en route so we stopped. I took the opportunity to look for the sex bolts et al and it turned out they had them - only in stainless steel! I purchased 3 of each (Sex bolt, machine bolt, and washer) - always have a spare! Cost was close to what I would have paid for the Rockler hardware. Yes, I could have found them elsewhere or online in zinc plated steel instead of stainless and saved a few bucks, but didn’t feel the potential savings was worth the effort in TIME needed to obtain zinc plated ones elsewhere. So for roughly the cost of the Rockler, I’ve got the hardware I’ll be using 6 weeks sooner than the earliest Rockler will ship!

The biggest thing keeping me from making this tomorrow is space in my garage! I have all the tools I need to do the job - starting from planed boards from hardwood store (I don’t have a jointer or planer, nor the patience to do those functions with hand planes), but it’s a pain to “set up” the shop when I also have to garage a car. The car is on the way out - I’m selling it. Once it’s gone, I can set up my shop knowing I won’t have to tear it down at the end of the day. And this will be my first project once that happens.

1 Like

Correct - what @jvleearchitects linked to is WAY more than I need!

I just combined a bit of my Bootcamp 2018 learning with this project resulting in my first quick and dirty use of layout intended to be useful (as opposed to just playing around):
FujitsuScanSnapHolder Parts Layout.layout (192.0 KB)

The model on which it’s based is:
FujitsuScanSnapHolder.skp (204.8 KB)

It’s a layout of the parts I need to cut. Intended use is twofold:

1. Have it with me tomorrow when I go hardwood shopping - so I can remember the rough sizes I need!
  2. This is a simple enough project that I’ll probably use a printout generated from this as my building guide - but I’ll have to embellish it with a side view of the base to get the angled cut right!

And to head off the nitpickers among you: Yes. The model doesn’t include the hardware. And Yes, this means that the component I call “Mounting Plate” is going to be short by two thickness of the nylon washer I’m going to have between the moving parts. It’s the one piece I’m not going to rely on the drawing for all the dimensions. I’m going to assemble this thing complete EXCEPT for that plate, then measure the length needed before the final cut.