My new Desk, looking to collaborate

Hi, so i have been working on a model for my new Desk and was wondering if anyone would be willing to help me to refine my desk by helping me in areas like where the cam lock screws should be on the desk, and any other details i am unable to do myself.

Can’t help you much, but here are some Cam Lock components that may help you draw the desk.

I modelled them (fairly accurately) on those supplied in packets of 50 by the UK company Screwfix.
Wood dowel 30 x 8mm.skp (14.6 KB)
Wood dowel 40 x 8mm.skp (17.6 KB)
Cam lock and dowel holes.skp (18.4 KB)
Screwfix cam dowel 34mm.skp (110.1 KB)
Screwfix Cam Lock 15mm.skp (209.5 KB)

The guide points are at 32mm (approx 1 1/4") centres, to help locate the holes, pin and cam lock.
I found the hard way that
(a) you can’t buy a commercial jig to locate the holes precisely
(b) even with a home made jig, very carefully made, and with metal bushes for the drill holes, I couldn’t get holes to register better than about +/- 0.5mm so that it is best to leave a small overlap of a few mm between mating pieces, rather than try to get a dead flush corner (IKEA bookshelves, for example, leave about 5mm)
( c) it was worth making a practice piece first - a small bookcase to go under my wife’s bedside trolley

Here’s a drawing of part of a cabinet showing the construction:

Cam lock cabinet construction.skp (301.4 KB)

Cam lock jig - bushed.skp (1.6 MB)

Sounds like you’re own private project, isn’t ? You will have more luck if you upload what you have got at this point and ask specifically what you want to do. You can use the upload button (Max 3MB ) which is the seventh icon from left.
excentersmall

CamLock.skp (234.3 KB)

Are you looking for help in modeling the cam lock screws (as John and Mike assumed), or in determining where they should be placed to yield a good structure? Not clear to me from your wording…

Edit:
For this type of question you should always start by thinking realistically about your needs and goals. It is tempting to sink a lot of time into modeling small details that actually contribute no value. In this case, the connectors will not be visible in the final desk, so ask yourself how much detail is really necessary. If among your goals you count developing and improving your SketchUp skills, by all means go all out and develop or use realistic components such as the guys have shown. If you want to impress somebody with the realism of your model, or make sure your intent is clearly communicated to someone else who will build it, that’s also fine. But if all you really need is to show the location of the connectors for boring the holes, simple cylinders will suffice. They will take far less time to draw and will contribute less bloat to your model. For example, I often use Festool Domino’s in my furniture, but I almost never include them in the model because the tool takes care of placement precision and I know where I need them.

Here is a OneDrive link for my desk, and what i have so far

https://1drv.ms/u/s!Amwauqc1EtrPhkYX1BDgCEIql0Nt

I need help with the cam lock screws for where they should go to ensure the Desk is rigid, and yes it is a private project, i wanted to get a new desk so i used Sketchup to build a model of the desk i want.

Worth noting the Hob is not to be directly connected to the desk, but moreso it rests on top of the desk.

Wow, that are a lot of files…:slight_smile:
Usually, when modeling a desk as this one, it will require less, I think, but I like the concept of it.
For instance, you would not have to make different components for textured and not textured ones, you could manage that with a (face)style setting.
Your project folder could have a folder with components used by this project e.g.:

Project:

• Components

• Materials

Off course, it is a bit personal and often I find myself in a completely disorganized environment…
Any how, back to the desk:
You Have placed a copy of the desk-side component, but you did not ‘mirrored’ it. It is a good habit to think thoroughly about it’s position and Origin Axes of the component. ( You can enable to see the origin of components and their axes in window-tables->Model Info->Components )
The reason to flip the desk-side component about the components red axe is because we want to place the Cam-Lock inside the desk-side component:
desk1
I have placed some guidelines on the desk-back and with Move-copy place some Cam-locks in the Model.
Then selected the four Cam-Locks, Edit->Cut ( They’re on the clipboard, now) and then opened the desk-side component for editing ( Double click ) , Edit->Paste in place and the CamLocks are in the Desk-side component…

Almost similar with the cam locks for the Desk-Back component :

desk2

Now comes the tricky part. The Camlock component has several groups which visibility is regulated with Layers. In Outliner we can control in which ‘wrapper’ or container the groups are, but we must explode the top level of the component (CamlockComplete). We can then place the Pin-Groups in the Desk-top component:
desk3

have fun !

Desk Semi-Complete(Textured).skp (418.8 KB)

Thank you very much, I am honestly at a loss for words, Admittedly there is much for me to learn about Sketchup, In school i was taught all the basics so that’s what stuck with me.

I also noticed you use Sketchup Pro, i use Sketchup Make personally.

Thank you, all of you for your help, I seriously appreciate it all.

This topic was automatically closed 91 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.