Show me your peripherals!

So, I am in the process of writing a book. This book is about SketchUp. I am sure I will share more about that in a future post. For now I was hoping to reach out to this amazing community to ask if you could share with me images of your computer peripherals that I may include in said book.

I am writing a chapter on how certain hardware setups can help with designing in SketchUp (don’t worry… this is in additional to chapter after chapter on improving technique, first and foremost), and I would love to include some images of forum member hardware setups.

If you have a unique monitor setup (thinking of you @sonder) or use a unique mouse (like one of those Razer mice with a dozen buttons), and are willing to share a decent resolution image with me, I would love to include it in my book (along with credit to you, of course).

Thanks for the assist!
Aaron

11 Likes

I guess I need to clean up the desk a bit!

7 Likes

That was my immediate reaction, “Oh god, I can’t take a picture of this desk!”

6 Likes

Hey Aaron, I’m sharing my space. Curious to read the book and this chapter when it’s out!

A little bit about the space: I’m an interior designer who works from home (my own business), and I work at the dining table. Everything it setup on a sit stand so that I can A - stand while working, and B - so that when we need the dining table for guests, the whole office gets lifted off is one swoop.

The laptop on the bottom is a Dell G7 gaming laptop with a Nvidia card so that I can render with Vray and have smooth modelling. That’s my main computer because I often work away while travelling and need to be able to take work with me.

The top is an LG 27" monitor so that I can have LayOut and SketchUp open at the same time when working on drawing sets!! Very crucial!

As for mouse… just a regular 3 button, plugin headphones and I use the camera in the laptop.

4 Likes

Funny, but a recent discussion of Wacom tablets a few days back had me rummaging through boxes and finding my old ones for some pictures.

Three decades of Wacom tablets:
_DSC5666-1280p
Left: 1993 model with Apple Desktop Bus (ADB) cable
Middle: 2000’s model that actually came with a Wacom three button mouse
Right: My current 2010’s model that’s getting pretty worn

The pens have changed. The first was slim and had no rubber grip:

Then there’s that mouse that used to come with it. In the early/mid 2000’s, I was fine doing everything in PowerCADD with the pen, but SketchUp was frustrating, so I’d just switch to the mouse. Now I’ve adapted so I can live with the pen in SketchUp.

Having worked with the Apple Pencil on iPad now for a bit, I can say I prefer the feel of it to Wacom’s pen stylus.

3 Likes

Here you go, TV remote, Spacemouse, Android Tablet running Touch Portal for shortcuts, Wacom Intuos Pro Mid Paper version and ancient German supermarket special keyboard that has outlived many a more expensive variety. Three more monitors out of shot.

6 Likes

It’s compact and neat, but they say that the top edge of a monitor ought to be at eye height or lower to keep eyes from drying.

Trackpad and 2,5 fingers (index finger got sawn tangentional)

7 Likes

I just touched my eye to check… still moist!

When I’m standing (which is a lot) it’s a the perfect height. When I’m sitting, it forces good posture. I used to have screens to either side, and I found that I would absent mindedly start looking at one of them for too long and give myself creeks. Hence the switch to top-bottom.

1 Like

Here’s mine. Nothing special. No ergonomy to boast of. Screenwiper was lost when I switched to a flatscreen monitor.

16 Likes

5 Likes

My setup- spacemouse, keyboard, tablet monitor for changing music (speeding up/ slowing down tunes actually helps a lot), and I tried a big variety of crazy mice but a light three button mouse seems to work best for me.

4 Likes

Hard to get a good angle:
(3) Samsung 40” 4K tvs
(2) pcs
Wacom pro tablet
3D connexion mouse

11 Likes

Awesome! Thanks guys!!

if you can’t take a picture, maybe you can model it? :wink:

Setup @ Home: (wil follow asap)

Desktop: DELL XPS 8700
Processor: Intel(R) Core™ i7-4790 CPU @ 3.60GHz
Graphiccard: AMD Radeon R9 270
RAM: 32 GB
Laptop: DELL PRECISSION 7720
Processor: … (n.a. yet)
Graphiccard: (n.a. yet)
RAM: 64 GB
Display: 17"
Peripherals:
Display1: IIyama(n.a. yet)
Display2: Dell (n.a. yet)
Keyboard: Logitech (n.a. yet)
Mouse1: Logitech (n.a. yet)
Mouse2: 3dconnexion SpaceMouse Wireless
Drink: Water

Setup @ Office:

Desktop:
Processor: Intel(R) Core™ i9-9900K CPU @ 3.60GHz
Graphiccard: NVIDIA Quadro P5000
RAM: 64 GB
Peripherals:
Display1: IIyama ProLite E2783QSU 24"
Display2: IIyama ProLite E2783QSU 24"
Keyboard: Logitech K280e
Mouse1: Logitech MX Anywhere 2S
Mouse2: 3dconnexion SpaceMouse Wireless
Drink: Latte Machiato Grande

(interim changes reserved)

1 Like
  • Dell U3415 Ultrawide 34" Monitor
  • Wacom CTH-490K Intuos Touch Small tablet
  • Logitech MX Anywhere 2S Mouse
  • Satechi Slim X1 Bluetooth Keyboard
  • Satechi Aluminum Extended Keypad
  • 3D Connexion Space Navigator (now SpaceMouse Compact)

7 Likes

I feel like a played that card already in a thread at the beginning of lockdown. Guess I need to upgrade the model to include the equipment.

2 Likes

Not to mention the cupholder!

2 Likes

The optional cat is on my lap:

6 Likes