Looking for a way to import Google Earth elevation data into Sketchup Pro 2016

Hi,

Indeed, you can’t anymore, not for at least a few years :
Geolocation, just like the warehouses, use a webpage displayed in a chromium window inside your sketchup.
Thing is, websites don’t usually support older browsers, and that’s the case with your su2016 - your chromium is too old to use the web services.

Also, side note, Sketchup was sold to trimble in 2012, and since Sketchup2013, we haven’t had access to google map’s images and data. What it uses is now a mix of digital globe, bing and openstreetmap.
But I get your meaning, you want cartography / images / topography :slight_smile:

using the online free version, you can geolocate a file. but you’ll only get the roadmap photo, no topography, no satellite view.
From there, you could download the file, and open it in SU16.
(either as a collada, or you’ll need an extension like this one to open more recent version in 16)

Give precise coordinates and hope someone nice will give you the 3d file. They’ll provide you either a more recent file (see point above) or export it as 2016 version.

there are alternatives. I recommend cadmapper.com
they use similar data source, it’s based on openstreetmap (a mix of googlemap and wikipedia), with a free account, you can get up do 1km2 of terrain. you can ask for topography or not, buildings (each in a separate group), roads…

Some other solutions, involving extensions, grabbing heightmaps somewhere, and listen to Eric 10 min

If what you need is a topography, I would start with cadmapper. you won’t get the photo to match, but a chunk of the 3d will already be made.
Or the heightmap thing. depending on where you are, you can find some good quality data.

1 Like