Layout to PDF font issues

I couldn’t confirm it but perhaps Gotham is a variable font? Do you have a separate font file for all the variations and weights that your screenshot shows? To me it seems that variable fonts aren’t working (There are discussions about Bahnschrift and another, I don’t remember the name). They don’t work in my Word or Illustrator CS5 either.

All other software on my pc including word have no issue. Only Layout and only within recent developing times is now having issues.

Gotham_Fonts.zip (818.9 KB)

Does the font substitution happen on screen or only in PDF exports? There have been numerous font-related issues in the new version of the PDF exporter library included in v.2021. @trent & @adam , have you been looking at the font substitution issue too, or only the tab and spacing one?

The font issue where characters seem to be scaling or changing between my viewport and the final .pdf export was a separate issue until today. The last time I opened this file was Wednesday of last week when it did not have the missing font and was not prompting for a font substitution. At that point it was simply exporting incorrectly and only on certain parts. I had not performed any updates between Wed. of last week and today but in checking for updates it states I am up to date. This morning was the first time that Layout had decided that this font doesn’t exist on my system and seemingly unlinked it from my file. My font no longer appears at all in the viewport, it has all defaulted to Arial and exploded my world. So I am avoiding saving these files in hopes that a fix will link things back up and I don’t lose a substantial amount of time fixing, and I’m not exaggerating, 100’s of files some of which 40+ pages long.

Still having the font sizing issue with bulleted items. I was able to develop a work-around where I typed out page notes in Excel, imported, then exploded. However that’s more of a pain in the ass with the general notes page with multiple columns/boxes (which was working fine before). I attached a portion of my layout file and pdf export (too big to attach whole document) in hopes that it will help Sketchup resolve the issue.

General notes test page.layout (87.2 KB)
General notes test page.pdf (75.8 KB)

Okay … well through absolutely zero intervention of my own and in having only reopened the file, it not only doesn’t ask me for a substitution, the font has been fixed on all pages and the fonts themselves appear in the font list… I’m completely at all loss. Ever taken your car to the mechanic for a dinging noise only for it to not be present during their observation?

Edit: Font/Character scaling issue upon export to .pdf still persist, however I’m still quite happy to see it all “back”.

Part of my job is being the cad/bim guy to help my coworkers with their computer problems. I have often observed an “Anssi phenomenon”. I get called for help, and walk to stand behind the person needing help, and the problem has disappeared!

1 Like

Its back to not finding the font again… same file, no changes by me. Didn’t ask me to substitute the font this time… simply defaulted everything to Arial and told me to go suck an egg.

I’m experiencing an issue with PDF export where any text box that has a single character per line, the exported text shrinks down to nearly unreadable size. Funny how this was never an issue in previous versions and now it’s there. The workaround for this is to add a space before or after but it’s kind of ridiculous to have to do this on a piece of software squarely marketed towards the AEC industry.

Hi,

We have just released 2021.1.2, which should have addressed the PDF export issues such as you are describing. Get the latest version of SketchUp and LayOut by using the check for updates menu, or go here to download the latest installer: Download All | SketchUp.

Sorry for the inconvenience,
Adam

Quick tip for people using special non-standard fonts in the windows environment. Windows 10 specific updates trigger a reset of fonts or at least truncate the list of available fonts back to a default state non-inclusive of the new fonts. Layout follows suit by looking to that list I believe so when the respective fonts are missing, it defaults. I think this because when I remedy the situation by reinstalling the missing font from the windows/fonts list, windows insists that it is already installed but clearly not part of the list. Layout will not recognize the font as it isn’t part of the list. Upon re-installation of the “missing” font you should now see it in the list and a fresh instance of Layout will as well so long as you haven’t saved that file with the defaulted font when it opened not as expected. Thanks SU for the Supportage.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 186 days. New replies are no longer allowed.