Layout slow rendering

In one of my projects, re-rendering in Layout after I make changes takes way forever.
On all of the sheets.
What could be the cause and how can I fix it?

There are a number of possible causes. Most often it has to do with things like overweight SketchUp files, excessively high entity counts, large texture images, and things like that. Plant and tree components are common offenders. Exactly what you are running into is impossible to say without seeing the LayOut file.

There are some reasons, but it’s hard to know without checking the file, also your pc specs could be the problem if you have a lot of geometry and it can handle it, Trimble is also a bit guilty, the API they use is too old, OpenGL, it’s inefficient compared to other ones like DirectX on windows or metal in Mac.

I understand. I don’t have anything like that in this model, that’s what’s confusing. No trees, a few furniture pieces

It’s linked properly.
In Sketchup / Model Info - I have purged problems and Fixed.
In Layout I have in File / Document Setup - edited out bad stuff, etc.

Dave, am I able to send you the Layout File so that you can ascertain what’s going on?

You can upload your LayOut file to the forum by dragging and dropping it into a reply. If it’s more than 16 Mb, upload to DropBox or WE Transfer and share the link. If you don’t want to make the file public, click on my name and then Message and send me the file or link privately.

I’ve gotten started looking at your SketchUp and LayOut files. Here’s some stuff I’ve found that would slow down rendering times.

Styles: You have Profiles turned on which results in more work for the graphics card and thus, longer render times. During rendering the profile edges need to be figured out so they can be displayed as thicker than non-profile edges. Turning off Profiles in the styles and then updating them will help.
Screenshot - 11_9_2022 , 1_01_05 PM

There are some excessively detailed components and groups in your model and that detail needs to be considered for rendering even if it doesn’t show. The car groups are a good example. Do the springs and brake rotors, and calipers add anything useful to the story you are trying to tell in your project? What about the car seats, other interior elements or even the Subraru logos on the wheels? I’d guess they are uninmportant since your model isn’t about a car so all that detail is not an asset, it’s just a liability.

The bed has a similar issue with excessive geometry that really doesn’t seem to add anything useful in your project.

I find it odd that objects which should be components are groups in your model. It’s also odd that you have a copy of the entire house located at a distance from the main model. This effectively doubles the file size which adds more geometry that has to be considered during rendering or updating the reference in LayOut. You could create all of the scenes you need with a single instance of the house.

Since you are mainly using groups and not components in your model, changes to the model will be a lot more work since you’ll need to make the same changes in multiple places.

There are some excessively large texture images in the SketchUp file…

…and many duplicated materials which, like the duplicated groups in your model add file size without benefit.

I didn’t go through consolidating the materials but I reduced the the size of the first seven materials in your file size to a max of 1024 pixels and saved the file. It reduced the SketchUp file size by 51.6%.
I also noted some incorrect tag usage. ALL edges and faces should be untagged in the model.
Screenshot - 11_9_2022 , 12_34_14 PM
There are also quite a few incorrectly oriented faces in your model. There should be no exposed back faces.

If you are going back and forth between LayOut and SketchUp, leave your viewports rendered as Raster. They will update more quickly that way. Save the Vector or Hybrid rendering until the end. You can turn off Auto Render in the SketchUp Model panel so that you don’t have to wait for LO to update all of the viewports every time you update the reference. If you are only working on a single viewport render it manually and later render the others when you need to.