Layout Problem

Hello
Can anybody advise how I actually save a layout file? Sounds crazy I know- but when I save it (as a "layout file) it then, when I want to open it asks me, which app do I want to use to open it? When I put in SketchUp , from the drop-down list, it opens sketch up - not layout and tells me there is not a model to open.

Should I be opening a LAyout APP, is there one out there, or should I be saving my layout as something else such as a photoshop file for example?

I have tried to save layout files before now and have lost them due to not being able to open them, rendering them useless.

Thank you in advance
Jo

This sounds like an error in installation. To make sure it’s installed correctly do the following. Quit both SketchUp and LayOut and find the downloaded installer. Right click on it and choose Run as administrator. Then click Repair when presented with the options.

1 Like

Two Suggestions:

1. Find your Sketchup installer file, right click on it and choose “Run as Administrator”. When prompted, choose the “Repair” option.
  2. Right click on a .layout file and choose “Open With…” Find your Layout executable, select it - watch for a checkbox or a question asking if you want to use this selected executable to open ALL .layout files. Checking the box (or answering “yes” - I forget which!) will associate .layout files with the Layout executable so, in the future, double clicking a Layout file will open it with Layout.

Based on your using Sketchup 2018 in your profile, you should find your Layout.exe file at:
“C:\Program Files\SketchUp\SketchUp 2018\LayOut\LayOut.exe” unless you chose an alternate install location when you installed SketchUp. And if you’re actually using Sketchup 2019, just change the 8 to a 9 in the location earlier in this paragraph!

1 Like

Wow faster than the speed of light!!!
Thanks Steven so much - can I just ask … how do I find the sketch up installer file? sorry!

Jo

C:\users\ (your username) downloads\programs.
File association is problematic lately. It needs some attention from MS.

That’s harder to answer. If you haven’t changed your “default” download location, you can probably find it in c:\users\<your username>\downloads

If you can’t find it, you can download it again from Trimble: https://www.sketchup.com/download/all – note you’ll need to be signed in to see the actual links.

Note: I think the default installer file name isn’t version specific. But since you can have parallel installations of different major sketchup versions, I change the “suggested” name of the download file to include the year of SketchUp.

Thanks so much, ill give it a go
jo

Hi thanks so much - worked a treat!
Jo

This topic was automatically closed 183 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.