LAYOUT - Import Layers - Group Layers - Layer colours - You know, the usual stuff!

Is there a way?

Would help me as I develop my layers system to update all current projects.

And groups…groups help in every graphics program.

Where are you expecting to import layers from?

From another Layout project.

Are these layers you use all the time? If so, why not set up a template that includes those layers?

only one way I know of…create what you want to add in a new file and then copy paste it into all old files that need to be updated.

Currently, I have a group in my template that is a 1"x1" block for each layer. This group can be copied entirely and pasted into an old file and all the layers come with it.

DaveR is correct with his thought, best practice is that you build a good template and have these root layers and groups set. You then have the root blocks to paste into old projects if that is necessary.

Note: All of these objects can be hidden in the Outliner so that they aren’t seen unless you need to update or add/remove a layer.

Q: what are groups for you? Are these pre-modeled objects that are common to each project?
In case they are, have you studied up on Component Libraries?

Your comments seem to be about sketchup, but the thread is about Layout.

Woah…it’s too early and I can’t read! I guess the big word at the beginning, “LAYOUT” should have tipped me off…geesh. thanks for the correction.

1 Like

Dave is correct. Templates are key. Set them up once and your set for all future projects. This goes for both LO and SU and just so happens to be the focus of my 3D basecamp presentation in September.

I use templates. In fact my template is worth a vast sum to me as I have been developing it for a few years now.

However, I am moving over to a new layer system and have multiple building design projects running concurrently that run from 4 months to 18 months in duration. So there is a lot of overlap in terms of template development. And given there are no layer features/colours/groups I have had to develop my own means of navigating 130+ layers.

I will never have a project with all updated layers flows and characters if I have to go through and update everything manually.

Sketchup allows some importing of project information across existing projects. I was hoping Layout may in time, do something similar.

You have too many tags! You also can’t expect any program to be able to reassign tags to geometry automatically. None can do that.

Who are the zillions of tags/layers for? Is someone using some separate software to sift through your model? Are you giving the models to someone else who uses only layers to identify parts?
When I did some projects with Revit I realized that the concept of layers is unnecessary and outdated. Objects have names that identify them. Layers/tags cannot be seen in paper or PDF output, so usually the only person that ever sees them is myself. Some of the consultants I send my documents to use them to turn off what they don’t need, and they hate if they have to sift through lists of layers with cryptic names. I know I am fighting windmills - I have for years tried to convince my coworkers about trashing endless layer lists.

1 Like

Anssi, keep up the pressure!

Exactly. I’m not using Revit.

No I’m not expecting a program to assign geometry automatically.

We have been using TIGs Layers to List. Layers To List | SketchUcation

and

TIG’s Layers From List. Layers From List | SketchUcation

Although Layers from List does not seem to override the in Model Tag Color Transparency @TIG. If it Did we could switch between Color by Tag for Exporting from Layout to DWG and Color by Tag Transparency for the Isolated Live Section (Donley Method).

It’s easy for SketchUp, Layout is a bit more complicated.
Although there is an Layer entity list in the document.xml (change .layout extension into .zip and extract) each layer in a LayOut document gets it’s own id, and I am not sure how it works.
I did manage to add multiple autotags in this document before, and ‘send to a comprised.zip, rename back to .layout and open in LayOut.

1 Like