Layout files crashing

its happening again this morning to a different file.
the purge function works great when the file is open, how do i do it to a file that will not open?

Could some kind of changes to the server file location be doing this?

You can’t really do that.

If you were to upgrade to SketchUp/LayOut 2022 I expect you could open the LO file as I was able to.

Yes! I didn’t realize that your references are to a server location. Changes to the server could definitely be a problem. It might be a momentary interuption in the connection to the server buring a save or autosave that is causing the problem.

Best practice would be to have all reference files for the project in a folder on your internal drive. If you are going to keep them on the server, upload the entire folder after you are done with it.

…and i am back to getting the splash screen when trying to open a sku file

Looks like you need to sign in to your subscription again. That needs to happen every 28 days.

signed in, its still happening…

this is a business account, the computer is always hook up the the internet. I thought it did that automatically.

Sign out and sign back in.

Nope. For a subscription license the user needs to ping the server at least once every 28 days.

This is suppose to be a permeant license.
I dont have an issue with my home licenses

You showed the page for the subscription license.

What does the Classic license page show?

That’s what came up when i clicked on the file to open it.

i have logged out and back in, i have even restarted my computer.
the layout file still crashes.

You need to take a deep breath, step away from the computer, have a coffee/tea whatever then look back through the thread and have a go at answering some of the questions with a clear head.

I understand everything that he has explained, the one thing i can’t do is upgrade to a new version.
this just started happening to resent files. I can open older file (like last week) with no problem.

I’m trying to understand what has changed and what I need to do to fix it short of redrawing the files. that would take a lot of time that i don’t have.

Try to delete the .plo file in the (hidden) %Appdata%/SketchUp/SketchUp 2020/LayOut folder.

Thank you Mike,
That did the trick.

I also noticed in looking at the Sketchup Preferences files that my defaults file location changes on some of my file locations to “OneDrive”.

I was working off site last week and using OneDrive to transfer files from the server to work on and save them back to the server in the office. Now it has changed my SketchUp default Preferences in the office SKU program. Could this have something to do with the Layout files crashing? I looked at the Layouts Preferences and they are still as I had set them up…

I do not know about the crashing, it may be a possibility, but it is best practice to save to a local drive first before uploading to a file hosting site.

that is what we were doing, uploading to OneDrive from the office server through a virtual desktop of my office computer, downloading to our local computer we were working on remotely. then uploading the file back to OneDrive when we were done working on the file and downloading it back to the office server folders from OneDrive.

We did the same thing working from home during Corvid with no problems that I can remember.

Sometimes, LayOut get’s confused by having different (monitor) set ups, eg. Laptop home with one monitor and back in the office with two or with different dpi’s.
That can result in a .plo file not working correctly for the current setup.

Hi Dave R,
Need clarification on this … “All faces and Edges must be untagged…”. I understand that the untagged will be with the default line style but what if I wanted a dashed line? Wont I have to create the line with a TAG with a dash line style ?
I normally create a line for an over hang in a building that needs to be dashed. I draw a line and assign it to a TAG that has a dashed line type. I then group this and other lines in a TAG called “Over Hangs” which will minion the dashed line. If i explode the group and change the lines to untagged, the lines become the default solid line associated with Untagged.
Any advise if I am drawing correctly ?

Per your PM you have this figured out but for others who come along who wonder the same thing, take a look at this first:
https://help.sketchup.com/en/sketchup/controlling-visibility-tags

Especially this:

Your models will be much more predictable if you refrain from assigning tags to entities like edges or faces, or changing the active tag.

Leave all geometry untagged and only give tags to the objects (groups and components) in the model. This applies to single edges, too. You are less likely to create issues with some edges and faces disappearing unexpectedly and the workflow will be easier because there’s no chasing tags. Since all edges and faces are untagged, it makes no difference what tag you’ve put on the object when it comes time to edit the object.