Latest version of sketchup 2023 causing slower times to relink layout file

Good Day,
Could there be a reason why my layout file is taking a lot more time to update when relinking to the SKU file? This is a new situation since just recently updating to the new version. It is taking so long that I have to walk away for a bit, otherwise it appears that it is not responding or could actually crash - but it seems to eventually update.
Thanks,
Diane

Have you compared with an older version of Sketchup and LayOut? I haven’t noticed any difference between the latest version and previous ones.

Make sure your .skp file is not too large. You can sometimes purge this file to save a lot of file space. Just one idea but would not explain the difference between versions. I have sometimes had issues with layout becoming slow saving / updating references etc after very long session times. Restarting my computer sometimes solves it.

Hi @DiPenni,

We have investigated this and have found the source of this regression in the latest 2023.1 release. We are working on making a change that should speed things back up to pre-2023.1 times.

Sorry for the inconvenience,
Adam

2 Likes

Hi Adam,
Just wondering if you know when this issue will be resolved? I need some light at the end of the tunnel…
I’m finding it so frustrating using Layout. Currently taking almost 3 minutes each time I ‘update model reference’.

Hard to say exactly without seeing your LayOut file. One thing you might do is untick the Override box in Document Setup>Rendering.

Most often when I see LO files from others that are slow to render/update, it turns out that the model is not as well managed as it could be.

Please update your forum profile. It still says you’re using SU2020.

Thanks Dave. I have now updated my profile.
I tried unticking the Override box but it actually made it even slower.
This slow updating problem has only become an issue (for me and everyone else in my office) since upgrading to sketchup and layout 2023.
If there are ways to manage the model better I’m happy to try anything you can suggest, but also from Adam’s comment on December 23 it looks like this is definitely a know problem with the lates release (2023.1) which they are working on resolving. I’d really love to know when (approximately) this might be resolved.

It might be there are issues related to LayOut on Mac. As for model optimization, I’d be willing to bet my lunch money that the SketchUp models you are working with could be streamlined to render more efficiently. Seeing a representative sample file would help in that regard.

It would be nice to know when the issue Adam referred to will be resolved. At this stage my guess is when SketchUp 2024 is released. Unfortunately we won’t know when until it happens. Those at Trimble who might know are not allowed to say in advance.

Hi there,

Is anyone having trouble with layout 2024 being sluggish while trying to save or relink references?
Attached is a link to my model and layout if anyone feels like taking a look.

I’ve timed it several times today how long it taked to relink a file. The longest has been 31 minutes, and the shortest time has been 11 miutes. I’ve tried purging, cleaning using the CleanUp3 extension, and making sure the override option was unchecked in document setup.

This is something new with just the last two models I’ve been working on. I updated to 2024 as soon as I was notified that it was out and had no problems until the past couple of weeks.

Should I use an earlier version of layout?

Thanks for any help.

I’d say that you have a massive amount of detail in the the form of polycount and — I don’t had the time to delve deep — it’s perhaps in part due to those 13 pages each four/five to seven viewports per page and each viewport having to render all that polycount.

If I make an deeper investigation into your Layout file I’m going to be waiting many, many minutes per change — my first thought is: are you making good use of tagging, i.e. in each viewport are you turning of the tags of other parts of the model that are not in view so that they don’t render?

Secondly, you need to drastically reduce polycount in all of those detailed components in the model.

1 Like

Thank you @PaulMcAlenan . You gave me some things to think about.

So many edges… do you need this much detail for the LayOut drawings?

This is the moulding… I think it is total overkill and could be simplified.

Same for these panels on the cabinets:

I am guessing you brought in the stove - and it might be the exact model the customer is looking for - but there is a lot of detail here that might not be needed:

And the turnings for the island legs could probably have a reduced segment count on the circles / arcs before you make them:

Same goes for these edges:

The textures look not so bad… but you could reduce them further I think, unless you are rendering.

3 Likes

Hmmm, that’s a good point about the textures. Since these drawings are being made for the shop, I could probably change those up a bit.

The customer usually receives close to real-life renderings of the spaces, but that could be a seperate set.

Also consider next time you model to reduce your segment count on any curves / follow me / moldings. Simplify these so they look good on the drawings, and if needed do a 2d profile for the shop (that can be higher detail).

1 Like

I always make a separate model for rendering… different needs have different levels of information. My renderings have embedded lights, atmosphere, lots of plants / entourage etc. that the shop doesn’t need.

1 Like