Layout Save is Very Slow

I’m finding that Sketchup and Layout are performing much better with 2022 on my M1 Mac but Layout is very slow when saving. Here are some things that may be effecting the save time but I can’t sort out which, or which combination, it would be:

• referencing (2) .skp files in same Layout file
  • multiple wall sections with structure framing materials detailed (framing, drywall, insulation, etc are all modeled to create section details in layout. Only a few (2) have been created with Skalp, otherwise the sections are native SU sections.
  • I’m using textures/materials for hatch patterns on the ends of each component (seems like this would be more a rendering issue, which I’m not having, instead of a saving speed issue?)
  • Layout file is 11 pages
  • saving speed is virtually the same (maybe a few seconds difference) with raster vs hybrid viewport rendering
  • rendering is set to low while export rendering is set to high

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

• Zac

It could be a number of things that are affecting the same time. How large is the LayOut file? How large are the SketchUp reference files? Can you share the LO file so we can see exactly what you’ve got set up?

Layout File is 782.7 MB (to large to upload)
Sketchup File #1 is 31 MB
Sketchup File #2 is 34.5 MB

Looking into why Layout file is so large.

Upload it to Drop Box and share the link.

I have a bad habit of using the last projects Layout file for a template. Found a large .skp file that was the culprit. Took Layout file size to 97 MB. Still large but better.

Lesson learned.

Thanks!

That is a bad habit. Why don’t you make a proper template that doesn’t contain all that unneeded stuff so you can start clean. Then keep it clean.

I’m going to guess that your SketchUp files could tolerate some clean up, too.

It’s a common response to “my last work is my best work” in combination with “I have to much work to make and revise templates so I’ll deal with it later”. Bad combo indeed. Templates, if done right save time.

I’m good on the Sketchup file sizes. My models have a lot of detail so I think I’ve done everything I can to keep them as manageable as possible.

Thanks for your quick reply. Helped to have a second brain on the issue that was right in front me, ha!