Issue with model and removing ceiling from one room

I have been building a model of my house and I’m almost finished but I have run into an issue I just cannot figure out. I want the walls to be filled in at the top but have the ceilings removed from all the rooms. This works fine for all my rooms except for one. Something is wrong with the way I drew it but I cannot figure it out. If I trace the ceiling line and try to select and delete it, it removes the tops of all the walls, but just for this room.

It’s easier just to see it. I have a link to my model below. When you load it, you will see the one room that still has the ceiling on it. If you select it, it selects all the tops of all the walls. I have deleted all walls and created them again, removed the windows and doors, but cannot figure it out.

I have wasted 2 days on this and I’m pretty frustrated for something so simple. I’m sure I did something stupid, never used this program before really.

Any help is appreciated.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/61034888/3D_Unmodified.skp

I can’t tell where/when you did something wrong but here’s a tip and you’ll be able to spot the error in geometry:

• turn on endpointrs (menu Window > Styles > Edit > Edge Settings > enable 'Endpoints, set to say 5)
    Now zoom way in on the endpoints inbetween on the edge above the door to the outside. Both endpoints do have some extra edges, though very short, attached to them. Delete them. Now retrace the edge that has both endpoints removed by previous operations, (deting those edges).
    The faces should now be separated.

I found it! I had seen over one of the doors a lighter line and it seemed like it was not connected. Then when I would erase it, you could tell it was not a solid line. But every time I redrew the line it added the same issue back.

I just turned on endpoints, which is a great suggestion, and saw the same issue. This time when I deleted it, it worked as expected.

Not sure if visible endpoints would change the functionality?

The only other thing I did was before uploading it I ran the purge all as well as fix my problems. Fix my problems said there was no issues, but purge did remove some things.

Who knows, it works now!

Good eye… you can see the line is thinner and on zooming in to that area. The one looks like a paper airplane and the other a small triangle. AHHH!!!.. you found it …cool… Peace…

Well, the edge over the inside of the doorway looks pretty screwed at first glance. Wheeling around until I could select only that edge–from inside–I threw a selection rectangle around it and came up with 12 entities. Hmm, that’s not right. See picture.

So I deleted the 12 entities I selected plus the two on either side–14 total–and then redrew the top edge from end to end. Suddenly everything was golden. The edge around the wall looked normal, and the ceiling was easy to select and delete.

As for what you did to it in the first place, well, you tell me.

-Gully

I am glad I stopped by, thanks for the good tips with the endpoints. Which I usually turn-off so being out of sight out of mind. Plus the use of the entity info box to cross-check with,+++. It is the small things that drive me bonkers, Thanks…Peace…

As a side note, all your walls are inside out. The blue colour is the back face and should be on the inside of the walls.
It will create problems with some render engines and 3d printing, and you should get in the habit of keeping all your faces orientated correctly.

now that I have textures on all the walls seems like it will be hard to switch the faces. This seems like a big pain, live and learn, can I easily remove all the textures?

I was also able to select, delete, and fix that area above the door. I swear I tried it for hours before I uploaded the file, but it works now, who knows.

Thanks!

Yes. But first, here are some basics:

When you apply a material to a model, you’re actually creating and applying a copy of the material defined on disk. You are not allowed to operate directly on materials on disk; that way, the original material definition remains pristine and you are free to modify or even delete the copies, which reside in the model file.

The materials used by your model–the copies–are located in the collection called the In-Model Collection. It is denoted on the Material browser by a house icon. Click the house icon, displaying all the materials used on the model.

Click the Details menu button (the sort of arrow with list icon at the right of the Materials browser) and select Delete all, whereupon the materials disappear and you can see your model in all its inside-out splendor.

Once you have reversed the faces, you can reapply the materials from their original (on-disk) collections and thereby rebuild the In-Model Collection.

It generally makes sense to hold off applying materials until you’ve completed constructing your model. It’s much easier to see what you’re doing, and you can apply materials in a much more controlled, systematic way.

You can see your geometry without materials–just face fronts and backs–with the Monochrome display style. This allows you to check face orientation even when painted.

-Gully