Is there a way to transfer my settings from sketchup 2018 into 2019

I’m a long time user of Sketchup pro 2018 and have set a lot of my own setting in Sketchup, my own template, shortcuts, extensions, etc. and now that I’ve update to Sketchup pro 2019 I would like to be able to have the same settings in 2019, but they only way I can see how to do that is by manually re-setting all my settings, which could take all day.
is there a function that lets me import the settings from Sketchup 2018? and if there is no setting there really should be, at least for settings like shortcuts and templates.

2 Likes

Update - I’ve found the way to transfer my shortcuts and units and such, but it hasn’t transferred my toolbar settings, template, and extensions…

So you have found a way why not share please

1 Like

I’ve previously asked for this to be somehow implemented as a feature where your old installation is searched and settings / layout / extensions, etc. are migrated to the new installation. Guess what…

2 Likes

Re Layout, my shortcuts came over but had to recreate all my toolbars again

PS Layout is substantially more responsive in 2019 [W10], zooming, selecting etc

Keyboard shortcuts are now migrated automatically.

I guess it would be difficult to migrate toolbars as you may have set up icons that belong to extensions that the SU installation will not know about. It is generally not recommended that extensions are automatically migrated. Maybe one day extensions will get written in such a way as to allow automatic migration but that promised land is not with us yet.

It is maybe a shame that templates do not get migrated but it is a simple matter to copy and paste from the older folder to the new one.

oops sorry, but I’ve also found out how to transfer all my other stuff quickly so here goes

1. transferring shortcuts and unit settings etc.

Open sketchup 2018 go to Window>Preferences>Files click export and save the file where you can find it easily.

do the same in 2019 but click import, and import the file you just saved.

2. getting all your materials, components, extensions, and templates

1. open file explorer and turn on ‘show hidden files’ in the ‘View’ tab

2. go to this folder:

C:\Users\admin\AppData\Roaming\SketchUp\SketchUp 2018\SketchUp

1. Copy these files:
    2019-02-11%20(9)

2. paste them to this folder:

C:\Users\admin\AppData\Roaming\SketchUp\SketchUp 2019\SketchUp

3. toolbars

if you’re like me most your toolbars will come from the plugins you’ll just need to arrange them how like them.

the others you’ll have to select manually in sketchup 2019.
got to View>Toolbars… and then select the toolbars you want.

Done

this is how I did it, if anyone knows a better way please let us know

2 Likes

my advice would be to use sketchucation for your plugins from there you can load bundles

1 Like

^ this and:
your Extension Warehouse login keeps track of the extensions you download there, make sure that collection is up to date and cleared up (it keeps tack of extensions you downloaded, even though you may have uninstalled them from your SU installation), fro there you can also install all your EW extensions pretty easily

Actually I am referring to LAYOUT toolbars :slight_smile:

TRIBLE unfortunately has not enabled Developer Plugins in LAYOUT

I had to recreate these again manually [PS, that is not how they are arranged LO, just did that to make this image compact]

TRIMBLE, also note the sloppy use of words in a toolbar, no compact icon available for many commands … come on been like that for ages !

Did you programmer get tired of creating icons?

2 Likes

If you install exactly the same extensions as in 2019, you might want to try this (Use at own risk)

• install version 2019 (rightclick on the installer file etc.)
  • install all the extensions (do not worry about the placements etc.
  • Make some adjustments (Not to many)
  • Do a save (file save)
  • Close 2019 and 2018
    open the regedit through the windows menu (Win 10: just type regedit )
  • export the settings of the workspace of 2018 (Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\SketchUp\SketchUp 2018\Workspace)
  • also export those of 2019
  • Open with an editor, delete contents of 2019, replace it with the content of 2018
    *double click on the 2019

I haven’t tested it, myself, though, just a thought

Did you notice 2019:

versus 2018:

2 Likes

Nice comment about Layout, it’s slowness has always caused ‘friction’.

My question is this: Should I just migrate all files/models to 2019 from 2018 or delete 2018 even? Once 2019 is installed, they open in 2019 by default even if you use the 2018 icon. To continue working with a 2018 model in the 2018 version, you have to open only Sketchup 2018 and then open your file from your directory. A major headache for ongoing work, not going to happen, so you can’t ‘migrate’ gradually, you have to commit. Any comments on what is the most practical and safest thing to do? I’m also keeping an eye out now, for a replacement for Sketchup, managing files is difficult enough without them throwing these version compatibility problems at us.
But nothing does it like Sketchup, when it comes to creating 3D models, it’s the difference between a musical instrument and a tool in a machine shop in my (humble) opinion. But it’s old, I think the first version came out in the '90s. AutoCad is another two decades older than that.

I believe Justin Geiss (sp?) on Youtube has a comprehensive video on migrating most settings from 2018 to 2019.

This behavior of sketchup versions is the main reason I usually am 6 months behind the updates. I find it very awkward. Many like to point out how each version is a stand alone program so there is no need to “commit” to a new version and multiple versions can live together on a single machine. While technically this is true (I have versions going back to 7 on my computer) but in practice once a new version like 19 even exists on the hard drive it starts to dominate the work by always wanting to open itself rather than older versions. Any file opened from an icon goes to the new version and get updated rendering it incompatible with earlier versions. In a busy workflow like mine I have several projects going, each with 50-100 sketchup files related to them with lots of iterations and expiremtal versions that interrelate, I am constantly opening and closeing files and jumping back and forward in time. It hard enough to track the progress without managing a version war, and my deadlines are always looming. If I allowed 19 into my computer right now it would try to take over and I would end up with files split over two versions and a nightmare keeping track. I wish I could play with 19 a bit before using it, but past expierence has taught me that once I download it I have to commit and transfer compleatly and that’s best done between projects. Not really a big deal as 18 is pretty stable these days and I’m not salivating for dashed lines. I do wish sketchup files would just open in the version they were created in, regardless of if a newer version exists on the local drive, then I could choose to migrate on my own schedual.

If you reinstall 2018 using the Run as Admin method and choose Repair when given the option, your default will be reset to 2018 and you can choose to open 2019 whenever you want. Nothing else will be changed in your setup.

2 Likes

I’m on a Mac, so no run as admin for me but thanks. I managed to stay on 16 for years by isolating and renaming newer version. It’s cool, I’ve just learned to wait for a lull in the action before updating.

Good option for the OP though.

I checked the profile above, not yours.
But no doubt a simple reinstall would work on mac too.

Maybe, I like the idea. I’ll hafta poke around there and see. I should have a break in a few weeks and I’ll just jump into 19 then. I like waiting to see if any glaring issues arise for others before I update anyway.

Another way (win only) way around this…
https://extensions.sketchup.com/en/content/eneroth-open-newer-version