Is there a secret to inserting SketchUp Models into Office (PowerPoint, Word, etc)?

Some interesting/useful info Microsoft

Did you check for reversed faces as John suggested?

Thanks. Looks like I got some reading to do.

Hi Drew, I did a test with an existing model to .fbx and it worked well for me.

I checked …
Triangulate all faces
Export texture maps
Swap YZ coordinates (Y is up)

Hope this helps.

Sean

Sean, thanks.
How did you check and make sure your model met those requirements? ( e.g.- Triangulate all faces, export all textures, etc)

Honestly I didn’t. I’ve seen triangulating the faces work before in other programs in using SU based models so I thought I would try it. Exporting texture maps seemed like an easy choice and swamping YZ was a guess. This was my 1st attempt and it worked for me. This was also a VERY simple model so more complex models might present more challenges for Power Point.

FBX export

On the Export file dialog, at the bottom, if the filetype selected has export options, … the there will be an Options… button to the left of the Export button (which opens the dialog box Sean showed above.)

1 Like

Sean,
First, thanks for your help.

I did open up my SU model and went to the FBX Export Options - I did have the same boxes checked - except for the Triangulate all Faces.

So, I will give it a try and let you know what happens.

For good order sake, I am trying to upload a SU with multiple textures, so that could be the problem. We’ll see.

D

Thanks Dan, I saw that and I’m “checking” off different boxes to what happens.

1 Like

I am about to deep dive into the 3D Office Support Guidelines you shared with me, but I noticed that it pertains to 365. I have 2019, so I wonder if these guidelines are the same.

Yeah a more complex model might behave differently. My model had 3 textures and was pretty simple.

Good luck Drew.

take a screenshot in ‘monochrome’ mode…

if any showing are back faces you need to fix them or use ‘Export two-sided faces’ option as well…

john

So I tried a more complex model to see what happens. I saved the exported .fbx file to my desktop (where SU created a folder for the textures). I imported the .fbx file the desktop and it came in with no textures. I copied the .fbx file to the folder that contained the textures and it came in complete (well it is an unfinished model).

1 Like

The requirements are exactly the same in Office. Here’s the microsoft document:

Gotcha

Sean,

That looks pretty good to me.

Would be wiling to share your SU model with me, so I could give it a try.

Thanks,

Drew

Your info says that you are on SU Free (web). If so what are you using to export to .fbx?

I can share the church but not the wrought iron brick arch.

No, I own 2019 SU. I can export via .fbx