Input Devices

I have been looking at the 3D Connexion input devices and trying to decide on which one best meets my needs as a newbie to SketchUp. Due to the high ticket price for these items when considering the purchase of 4 I went looking for alternatives.
I stumbled across several other input devices that you can program to run shortcuts, processes, etc.
In my search, I came across Touch Portal, which I have found very easy to use/ follow.
My old Lenovo Android tablet was good enough to run Touch Portal, even my Samsung phone works with it as the interface.
A big bonus was a page already set up for the majority of the standard shortcuts within SketchUp.
I have been using it for a couple of weeks now and the reduction in mouse and keyboard movements is really noticeable resulting in better productivity.
A really great advantage, I do not have to remember the shortcut keys or search through the menus, I look on the tablet screen for the function I require, give it a tap, and away we go.
Has anyone on the forum found any drawbacks to Touch Portal? Discovered any enhancements for the page supplied with Touch Portal?
A big plus for the Touch Portal app is the ability to use it with any software that has shortcuts, I currently use SketchUp, FreeCAD, and ArchiCAD can’t remember the basic shortcuts but I can remember the icons on the buttons!
If the guys at SketchUp are watching maybe you could consider showing various input devices available that integrate with SketchUp, could this be a topic for Arron and his team?
We are keen to become more efficient with the use of SketchUp so we can do more with our customers in real-time modeling.
I look forward to reading others’ thoughts, experiences, etc.

1 Like

Can’t help with TP but I can endorse the SpaceMouse as a means of navigating. I just have the basic plug-in type with just two side buttons, not the type that look like you’re flying a Eurofighter.

Advocates of the SM believe there is no better way to get around a model. Not sure I would claim that it helps that much with productivity, but it sure makes the experience much nicer.

1 Like