Importing DXF files

Hi there everyone, I am totally new to SketchUp and am using version 5 at the moment until I get a handle on things. I need to be able to import DXF files but cannot seem to find a way of doing so on this version. Can anyone help ? Many thanks

“File > Import…” besides it’s the free version without DXF/DWG interface.

btw, there is no recent operating system covered by the system requirements of SketchUp v5 (2005) …use the 30 day trial of the latest SketchUp Pro version 2016 for importing DXF/DWG data… you might want to do a “Save as…” for saving in the file format of ol’ version 5.

If I remember right, version 5 was the first generation of SketchUp that had a free version, and DWG/DXF import was available as a free extension by the developers. I doubt if it is still anywhere to download, as the “best before” date is so long gone.

Anssi

1 Like

If you are totally new to SketchUp how did you ever get v5 ?
Even I no longer have that and I am a SketchUpper from v4 and before…

Any web-search for SketchUp would certainly point you at much newer versions :confused:

Get and install the current v2016 Make - the 30 trial will include Pro with the additions of DWG/DXF importers etc.
If you decide you want them. then pay for the Pro version…
OR if you are a hobbyist you might consider trying v8, which includes these importers by default.
However it is no longer supported by the developers, has issues with newer OSs and EWH/Topology, and his not half as good as the latest versions, etc…

most the torrents have v5 and a crack key!!!

john

But a more thorough torrent search ought to throw up iffy v6/7/8 which would be more current and perhaps still offer importers etc…
Also the crack torrents would almost certainly offer iffy newer versions with the bells-and-whstles, so I am a loss to see why the OP thinks v5 is the obvious choice…
After all, iffy v2016 [or newer!] cracks are [probably] already available…
Not that I condone any of this - after all an uncomfortable STD is easy obtainable as a side effect of an illicit liaison…
:wink:

1 Like

it was included in the free versions until version 7.1 where it was removed in favour of the Collada DAE format ahem …and provided as an external installer for a limited time.