If (SU2024) the next update had only one thing new/fixed about it, what would you want?

This would also be interesting for architecture, though it’s not our biggest priority it does give us a lot of headaches.

Conversion of arcs, circles and sketchup curves into CAD, using Layout, would have to account with point of view and perspective though:

• Arcs and Circles are only arcs and circles if they are seen perpendicularly to their plane;
  • Arcs and circles that are not seen perpendicularly should be exported as splines
  • Sketchup Curves could be converted to CAD also as splines
  • But what about cilinders and such shapes? Should they have their side edges exported as they are being seen in sketchup, but their base curves/circles/arcs, exported as splines.

I would support the ruleset above, without a doubt.

for the Trim tool to work as it did originally. You used to be able to pick one object as the cutting object and trim anything connected by continuous clicking on them. Now it resets every time after you trim one object. Drives me crazy.

2 Likes

I’m still using 2018 for various reasons… Has infuriating ‘clipping’ been fixed yet?

1 Like

“Reflective” property for faces. Such a property would show a camera view from the opposite side of the face as if the face was a mirror. A “Reflective” property should be configurable on a 0 to 1 or (0 to 100) scale, where mirror is 1 and normal glass might be a 0.5. Reflective could be used to make mirrors or window panes look more true to life. Doubtless there might be a performance hit as the GPU has to work out the reflection, but used responsibly, a “Reflective” property could improve verisimilitude of models.

James Mireles
Houston, TX

1 Like

It has. At least it’s been much better than before.

This is top of my wishlist as well.

what about different UI colors like dark grey, black or blue? i loveworking in PS and lightroom and would love a dimmer UI

3 Likes

True Arcs
(instead of polygon arcs)
To improve the conversion to CNC milling

4 Likes

Absolute basics, True Circles Arcs! Same answer since the beginning!
Solves large number of segments in a model
Solves exporting to a more expensive software.
Reduces unclosed surfaces on tangents.
Reduces/solves the need to export and fix the model in whatever.
Creates a product that works for low cost low run products.
Dimension an angle? (i guess that’s two things, ok ignore that one.)

5 Likes

A well-functioning IFC import and export functionality.

4 Likes

Multiple UV channels

Chamfer and fillet commands like every other cad 3d program.

3 Likes

Trackpad gestures like “two-finger movement” for panning, “pinch to zoom” for zooming, and “two-finger rotation” for orbiting. Since 2021, SketchUp Web has had similar gestures, but for some reason, the Desktop version still doesn’t have them.

2 Likes

I shouldn’t have been so surprised there are so many opinions!

2 Likes

Scenes need to be updated to manage many scenes better (especially as they go longer than the top row/bar). 1 way may be to integrate the same functionality of adding folders ala how tags have been updated. On the top bar then a folder (of scenes) might open a column of scenes in that folder at the top.
Some master functionality like some scenes may be hidden for certain presentations but open for other demos. Maybe this master functionality only shows in the tray if space is needed to be conserved on the top scene row.

6 Likes

menage vertices

Yes, yes!
“Mine at this point would be to seamlessly import previously installed extensions, the tool layout, shortcuts, templates, scrapbooks, preferences and ect when installing the new version instead of having to set it all up from scratch.”
This would save having to navigate through reconstituting my work space, that is a big waste of time and not that easy.
Also, small but welcomed change would be having the scene name field automatically selected for typing when you create a new scene.

2 Likes

For me it would be non destructive modeling sprinkled in. For example, if you had a follow me profile along a path, all you would need to do is change the path and the profile would update accordingly.

Second would be more optimized rendering. I still am surprised with the fact that sketchup struggles to operate smoothly as soon as a model gets even a tiny bit complex. We’re talking about really simple models here, and the best I can get is a line and flat materials and shadows. You’d expect a lot better looking style by 2024 but still it looks the same as 2014.

Are you talking about a material texture? If so you can edit it and when you go back to SU it updates automatically where it was.

Here’s what I’m talking about. I used screen print to copy a section of a pdf, then I imported the image to SU resized it, scaled it, then used the rectangle tool to make the ceiling beams and line tool for the vaulted ceiling, then imported it into paint.net to remove the ceiling and draw the soffit. sent it to the owner, who said the soffit was only 2’ not 5’ as shown on the floor plan. I reopened it in SU, rescaled the drawing, dimensioned the soffit, added texture to the fireplace. Back to paint.net to remove the old soffit and draw the new so the line weight would match.

If SU had the ability to recognise the dimensions, I wouldn’t have to play with the scale tool and the guides to get it back to the correct scale. In hindsight I could have used the tape measure tool to resize the model, after marking two end points of a line as I did in the first import.

Can you see why I needed a program that worked in pixels to tweak my drawing? I do the same thing when drawing rebar because it’s easier than using LO.

G