If (SU2024) the next update had only one thing new/fixed about it, what would you want?

The problem with that is it negates all users outside the building industry. Technically what Revit uses is essentially a tagging system without using the word “Tag”. You are still assigning geometry / elements to a predifined group.

5 Likes

Oh, and I pray SU becomes nothing like Revit or ACAD!…at least until I retire!

15 Likes
  1. Floating licenses or at least reassignable licenses
  2. Dimensioning tools in the Viewer

I wish SketchUp could “launch more quickly”,
similar to the speed of programs like Blender or other lightweight software.

I’ve noticed that when I need to open a larger model file, it’s more efficient to open a new SKP first and then navigate to the “Open” menu to load the specific file, rather than attempting to directly open the large file.

Faster file opening would greatly enhance the overall user experience, making working in SketchUp much more enjoyable. (As I respond to this message, I find myself waiting for my file to open…)

2 Likes

I would restore the printer settings so that full-fledged high-resolution prints can be made again

1 Like

Second this…

1 Like

As I’ve said for years, fix the native ifc export (and import) ! And expand the possibilities of adding bespoke PSets etc…!
Thank heavens there are plugin writers like @rtches & @brewsky who have consistently helped fill the void, but really Trimble, when BIM is the way the building industry is moving (in Europe at least) why oh why are you still ignoring this important area in your program ?
People will be bored of me banging on about it, but for those of us who do small to medium sized (100k€ to 5m€ max) architecture projects, but still have ambitions to benefit from a BIM workflow this has to be addressed or we will be left behind, and end up having to go to the Biggies (Revit, Archicad, etc…)
Oh, and if layout could at last cope with something as simple as getting dimensions to be “intelligent” that’d be gr8 too !
Not too much to ask for ? hmmmm

6 Likes

I wished for that as well before. Now to so much. There’s benefits to using a separate app for presentation.

1. Easy to make a presentation linking in different sketchup models. Also really easy to present different versions of the same project. Just copy a viewport and have it refer to a different “save as” of the same model.

2. Performance. Ideally at least, having an app with a separate RAM and CPU usage should make for better performance.

Having a separate set of drawing tools in Layout that behaves differently from SU means you need more skills/training to master the whole package, and that is kind of a bummer, and sets people back I believe.

4 Likes

Definitely.

4 Likes

This is not a single request but… I agree with almost everything. You can’t respect the origin of all plans, elevations and sections, without creating a layer for each. The only way you could do it would be to insert them in DWG 3d space and hiding them under each viewport.

What I would also add is that Sketchup leaders, dimensions and texts to travel back and forth importing and exporting DWG, from layout and Sketchup, as true texts, dimensions, and leaders

3 Likes

If for only this they need to stay separate.
I very very VERY much doubt there’ll ever be a version of SU with them combined as it’d require a rewrite from the ground up.

1 Like

It could work for everyone not by ditching tags but to allow them to be used as filters, or by creating a new filter class and keep tags as they are. Multiple filters to the same object would allow us to do a better organization and visualization of the model.

1 Like

I was thinking that a 2D dwg export from a specific scene could export with the axis position/orientation saved to that scene, so you dont manually have to open the dwg in autocad and move the 2D export to get it to refer to a project´s agreed local 0 point. As it is now you dont even get the whole scene exported if you are zoomed in while exporting, you only get what’s showing on your screen, as some kind of vector “print screen” :slight_smile:

1 Like

If Layout would work as Sketchup but in 2D you wouldn’t need it to be the same package.

However, it would be fairly easy to use Sketchup as a 2D package almost as it is right now, if we could import scenes as 2D drawings into sketchup and if we could print better from sketchup space.

1 Like

Totally agree then. We definitely need it!

1 Like

This is the Jedi Mind Trick, right?..

maybe 6 or 7 people would be happy :slight_smile:

I couldn’t agree more, this is the WORST part of SketcUp—having to set everything up from scratch again! :weary:

For me it would be a perfect (2d) polyline export to dxf/dwg from SU & Layout. Especially, I mean the curves/ circle line pieces! This would be awesome for CNC-cutting.

Atm they export like endless amount of straight lines and points in curves/ circles that gives troubles for CNC. I know you can create polyline in SU or use command join in Acad, but not into a so called ‘real’ Acad curve/ circle. There are some CNC plugins for SU, I tried them all without any succes. They are ok for small things like furniture, then you can fix it by redrawing. For bigger projects like WikiHouses it’s a hell of a job.

Btw I use Autocad16 Light besides SU, I know there are some scripts available only usable in the full Acad versions that might solve this problem. But still think this is what should be solved in the export from SU/ Layout.

3 Likes

SU not crashing in macOS Sonoma would be amazing!