Ideas for how to model a Thatched Roof?

Good morning all

Just wondering if anybody has had any experience with this sort of thing?

I am modelling a cottage ready to render in Vray but I am a totally lost as to how to model the thatched roof.

I have attached a photo of the cottage itself and would appreciate any inspiration anybody can give to get me started.

I use SketchUp Pro 2019

Many thanks as always.

Kevin

You can try something like this

3 Likes

Thanks very much for the quick response mihai.s

That looks really promising.

Kevin

1 Like

Hi mihai.s

Could you let me know what the first extension you used is called please.

I’ve searched ‘Round Corner’ in the Extension Warehouse & I cannot see the one you are using.

Thanks

Kevin

Look on sketchucation extension store. Most of Fredo6 extensions are there, not in EW.

Thanks very much for that info slbaumgartner

I haven’t been on that site before - it looks a great site and that Round Corner extension seems to be just the job!

Have a good one

Kevin

Hi, thanx for posting this. it is really helpful. There’s is one thing that I don’t understand. What do you do after you have generated the geometry of ‘Round Corner’. Do you explode it and soften the edges or something?

You’re welcome!
If it’s group (and so it should be, don’t explode it), just right-click on it and Soften/Smooth Edges

soften_17

2 Likes

Thnx, I will try that.

Hi I tried it, but I can’t seem to select the second line you select in the video. So to say the ‘inward bent’.
Maybe it the roundcorner plugin of Fredo has a bug? I use Sku pro 2021. SKu keeps saying you ‘don’t have connected faces’, but it shows 2 faces are connected. I check the connections, they’re fine.

It really is frustrating :slight_smile:

How do you try to select it?
Hold down the Ctrl key and click on the edges you want to select.

Hi Mihai, I did try the ctrl key, that went it bit better. But now it looks like part of the face disappears. It isn’t a group anyway.
I don’t know if I can attach pictures here, but will try.

Add multiple images

Just repair the face by drawing a line over
roof-05

Many, many thanx! Very helpful. :+1: :+1: :+1:

1 Like