While reading it, I thought: “Might this be better showcased in the ‘Sketchup --> Gallery’ Category?”
So I went over to “Gallery” and browsed a bit. And I started to “classify” the posts under a few mental categories:
- Pure Sketchup Models - no other programs, no rendering
- Rendered Sketchup - some also show the model before rendering
- Layout pages - some also show the SketchUp model that is documented
- Real World Builds
- Sketchup Models used as inputs to other programs - displaying final product
- 3D Printable models - and/or the actual 3D print
- My first model - (the thread OP, not me, @sjdorst!)
Having done this mental classification it occurred to me that the Gallery has grown so large that perhaps it’s time to make it a top level Category and add some sub categories - along the lines of my classifications above.
I’m not in any way committed to the classifications I listed - that’s just how I started classifying them. I may have missed something (or somethings).
Without this, @lt72884’s post could reasonably go where it is, or the existing “Gallery”. Were we to do something like this, I’d say that @lt72884’s post belonged either in the “3D Printable” sub-category - or perhaps an “In other repositories” sub category where files/designs created in SketchUp are presented in useful, non-Trimble repositories (in this case - Thingiverse).
This is just a thought. I see value in it, but I’m not committed to it - at least not yet!
What think you?