IanT's Experimental Gallery

I’ve seen a few of these done before, so I were having a mess around yesterday. I originally made it out of spheres but changed it. I think it just looks weird…

8 Likes

Weird yes, … but just due to “white” reflection on some faces.

Yes, that will be the additional light I added to counteract dark shadowing, ending up having completely the opposite effect. I don’t think the shapes of the components help either.

I drew a desk lamp really only for the practise of making the bent stem, which I used the “Radial Bending” tool from the Fredoscale extension. I saw Franquin’s post earlier with Box using it for some stairs and gave something a go myself…

I wondered what else I could do with the lamp, then a saying popped into my mind. So I thought I’d see If I could literally “shed some light on the matter”. Completely random, but there you go…

SHEDDING%20LIGHT

11 Likes

What’s the matter?

Don’t you mean, ‘What’s a Mattayogi?’
Nothing Boo-boo, I have the pic a nic basket!

Edit: That might be a bit too obscure for the average non us tv indoctrinated brit.

2 Likes

I am familiar Yogi bear, although I will admit I got “Matta” into Google before it suddenly clicked :smiley:

1 Like

I’m sure it’s not so bad now, but 30 years ago when I was first in England I spent most of my time translating things from US to Brit and vise versa. In australia we had both English and US TV so we understood both, but England had very little US TV and the US no Britt TV. I distinctly remember trying to explain the premise of Gilligan’s Island and failing miserably.

Sorry, didn’t mean to drag things off topic.

4 Likes

I suppose I’ve got Easter on the brain at the moment, so I thought I’d use the theme for some intersecting experiments using an egg as a starting point.

This is an image I snipped early on as I were coming up with a few ideas, I used Fredo’s Bezier Curve tool for the egg outline, offset it and used Follow Me to get the initial hollow egg shape. I didn’t end up using the part on the right with all the holes in it though…

The model with the completed solid egg components and the pieces I used for intersecting, The Dave Method used for all of them…

The eggs looked a bit silly stood up, so I set up a little scene for Twilight…

8 Likes

I bumped into a tutorial on you tube earlier by “Tutorials Up” showing how to do animations with section cuts in SketchUp. They always have some interesting videos on show. I gave it a go, although it were a little confusing for a first try as all the cuts were on top of each other. It seems to work pretty good.

I had to upload the animation export to You Tube because of the size…

3 Likes

A quick play with some plywood textures after seeing a thread on the subject, I also saw something by “Whiterabbitdesigncompany” about adding bevel/rounds to the edges to make the light catch the edges better which makes sense, something to try out. Only one light used for this one, very little setting up. I have seen some interesting lighting setups lately, I might take a l look at those to try and advance things a little…

PLYWOOD%20TEXTURE%20TEST

5 Likes

Birch

The floating dot above the “i” is very suspicious.

5 Likes

While I’m at it, I’ve tried another with a curved backdrop, white background and ditched the dot of the “i”. I actually got rid of a few lights for this one which uses 6 small point-lights.

The simple setup…

11 Likes

Pallets, paint, Round Corner and contrast…

5 Likes

Today I’d like to share my first Dynamic Component. It’s something I’ve never tried out before and I thought it would be interesting to start to understand how they work just for my own curiosity. I watched a set of 3 videos by Mike Brightman (Brightman Designs) on You Tube to get a basic understanding of where to start. The example done there were a single pane window component, but I thought I’d try 4 panes just to make things a little more difficult for myself. It’s nothing special, but the idea is to retain “frame thickness” upon scaling or resizing and also have the glass correctly fill the panes to suit, I think I got it.

I limited the Scaling property to only 1 axis at a time. I also added user definable component options to resize the Width/Depth and Height of the component as a whole. Frame Thickness can be defined which changes all of the frame components to the new dimension.

I added 3 colour options, and I were a little concerned about the glass material being replaced by the dropdown selection. However, I’d already applied the glass material to the faces inside the glass components. The colours applied by the Dynamic selection only seem to be applied to the component containers. So, the glass material applied to the faces overrides the materials applied by the Dynamic selection making it always show. (I believe).

Here’s the file with the component DYNAMIC TEST.skp (130.1 KB)

1 Like

An afterthought of my recent project in the Traditional Toys Gallery were to try out maybe another way to present the model. Something I’ve never tried out before or found use for as yet is stacking viewports in LayOut, I think part of that’s just down to experience. I thought I’d use the model to test out the concept in some way.

These are 3 scenes with different styles, stacked onto each other and a clipping mask “clipping” the middle x-ray viewport. I used different layers for the viewports to get the x ray one to show in the middle above the side ones. With a bit more creativity (that I often lack) I think some interesting things could be done.

5 Likes

A quick play changing colours using Section Planes. Although I display the word “Layers”, SketchUp Layers were not used and everything is on Layer 0. (In case of any confusion).

This shows what’s happening more clearly. A scene is added from the front with no Section Planes in place. Then another scene is created after each Section Plane is added working backwards. Check “enable scene transitions” in Model info>Animation, and play the animation…

8 Likes

There’s been a lot of talk lately of post process effects using Photoshop and other programs too. I don’t have a clue about Photoshop, but I thought I’d give another mention, Fotosketcher a look. Its very simple and quick to use and has many effects to choose from. I think its a very nice option to switch things up a little.

This is straight out of SketchUp with a vintage effect added…

This were rendered in Twilight, with a watercolour effect added. (I really like this one)…

This were rendered in KerkyThea, with a coloured pencil effect added…

4 Likes

#3dbcmodelgarden Nut and Bolt Thingies in Generic Cad style…

2 Likes