Hello! You may remember me from my trim extension threads (which I will discuss in a second) from a few months ago. I’ve taken a break from SketchUp Ruby to catch up on a few other projects and study ruby in a more relaxed atmosphere. Taking the advice of an expert in these forums, I have decided to postpone my trim extension project and work on something simpler to gain more experience. Here’s a list of projects I’ve wanted to tackle in the future. Which of these would you recommend to start with? If none of these are a good start, is there another extension concept you feel I should begin with? Here’s the list…
- Window Maker - Creates Windows (Basic, Single Hung) with an input of grill patterns and window sizes.
- Interior Door Maker - Creates Interior Doors based on size input and style input. Imports selected doorknob from a library in extension folder.
- Siding Creator - Creates siding profiles on faces (similar to the solid tools intersect) in both a lap and board and baton style. Input is gathered for siding reveal and board width.
- Cabinet Maker (Hardest in My Opinion) - Creates cabinets based upon cabinet type (Lower cabinet, upper cabinet, refrigerator, sink, vanity, etc…), door/drawer configuration and style, hardware selection, and dimensions.
- Orient face tool - Makes all front faces showing in model (in monochrome) for export with Unreal DataSmith
- Stair Builder (Not really necessary but as I have streamlined this quickly but could be a start) - Builds stairs based on user input for stair rise, run, number of stairs, and tread style.
- Garage Door Builder - Makes garage doors based on style and dimensions
*ProTrim (Been working on) - Extrudes trim profile from library in folder along multiple paths in a SketchUp model.
*AutoCAD (.dwg) to SketchUp
I work on homes (interior and exterior) so anything in that realm would help. If these seem too complex or difficult for someone just getting started (as they probably are), please recommend a good starting extension. I understand most of these utilize custom classes and that may be a whole different realm of difficulty. If there maybe is an opportunity where there is a team effort to create an extension I’d be happy to join and learn in a group setting too (kind of a long shot but I figured I’d put it out there). Thanks for all your support!