I think we're outgrowing sketchup

The check-out thing is actually part of trimble connect - so you can do this :slight_smile:

1 Like

Do you mean you can check out a component from inside a model? Because that’s what I was referring to.

I do understand the concept of checking out a whole model. But even if you saved a component out separately as its own model to be checked out, the original model would still allow editing of that component inside the model, right? (In my understanding the component inside the model wouldn’t be auto-locked, only the separate model would be auto-locked until checked back in)

Is this something you could record?! I’m interested in seeing this.

That’s an excellent question that maybe @TheOnlyAaron or @Josh can answer. I’m just not sure if they’ll be recording Basecamp sessions this year. They didn’t last year, but maybe that’s changing for Vegas?!?

This is not exactly ‘sharing’ a model, but I have finished developped a plugin about XRef, with Lock / Unlock mechanism to allow team members to have exclusive control over components.

Here is a video showing the main features of FredoXRef.

8 Likes

So in Trimble Connect you can actually co-locating various different models or components or whatever and you’d see the final combination of the things there in the viewer, where you can create to-dos and snagging lists and run clash detections etc.

It can be a mixture of DWG, Revit and SketchUp files, each file or component can be checked out to prevent another user from downloading/accessing it as it is worked on and marking it as in progress.

That may not be exactly what you would like as a low touch option in a very small team, but there are certainly options to make a workflow with SketchUp being one of those key parts.

You can’t do that directly inside of SketchUp - it would be great if you could.
The way that components are loaded in from 3Dwarehouse for example and that you can refresh/update them from their original source is almost half way there.

Likewise replacing a component with the same component again is another option, but I don’t think it’s quite slick enough for easy collaboration.

Looks like fredo has a solution here in plugin form ^

1 Like

I forgot to mention that FredoXRef works with relative paths so that assembly models and component models can be shared among the team, either by putting them on a shared drive in the office, or using drive replication between computers (like Google Drive, which is what I use). It also did some optimization for remote access over VPN, say home to office, to keep acceptable performance.

3 Likes

I mean… this plugin is about 99.9 percent of what I was suggesting! My mind is blown… thanks once again Fredo, you crazy wizard. I swear, I see countless examples of real, supernatural magiks summoned by the genius extension developers for SketchUp.

2 Likes

This is awesome! Is this available at Sketchucation yet?

Excellent… looking forward to try it. When will it be available @Fredo6 ?

As far as I know, there are no plans to record any sessions at this 3D Basecamp. The last 3DBC that we offered some session recordings for was way back in 2018 / Palm Springs. There are several reasons the team decided not to pursue presentation recordings, but I’ll let another Trimbler elaborate on that if desired.
However, I found YouTube playlists from 3DBC 2018 & 2016 for anyone wanting to check those out:

2 Likes

That’s fantastic! Looks great!

One comment occurs to me: As much as I love DD MMM YY as a date format, I don’t use it in a file name. If I do use a date in a file name, I use YYYYMMDD or YYYY-MM-DD so that if I look at a Finder directory that is sorting by name, it also sorts in a meaningful sequential way.

1 Like

So here’s a tougher follow up question: If my session is not being recorded, is there a problem with me making a YouTube video on my channel that’s substantially the same material?

Looks excellent, Fredo. One feature I really wish could be implemented in these various Xref extensions is the potential to use a clipping/bounding box around certain imports. AutoCAD has had it for years in Xref’ing .dwg files and then clipping areas you might need, rather than just using an immense drawing.

But then, that got me thinking… first of all, does your new Xref tool offer a variety of files that it can import/track? Like, not just for SketchUp references, but why not .dwg/.dxf, PDFs, and image files? Additionally, importing those various files in then clipping down to only the information you would like displayed? Then, what if there was a transparency slider to allow even more control?

Might cut down (pun!) on the amount of work needed in LayOut as well as a simpler way of displaying potentially large amount of information…

I am no extension master like you, so please take all these suggestions with a grain of salt, as I can’t fathom the amount of time you have already put in on creating tools that I use every single day. Thank you!

There are a lot of us who cannot attend due to various reasons. Recording the sessions is a way to educate and share the knowledge presented for the unfortunate who cannot attend.

3 Likes

I don’t have the proper authority to officially answer that one, but my guess is that’s ok… since SketchUp/Trimble doesn’t own the presentation material. I’d recommend directing that question to your 3D Basecamp contact for a better answer than I’m able to provide.

1 Like

I certainly agree on that point – which is why we made the extra effort to record so many sessions for the 2016 & 2018 events. I’m not involved in the decisions regarding 3DBC session recordings for the event this year.

Our team encountered the same problem of losing changes when collaborating on large models. That’s why we helped develop FredoXRef. It’s a great tool that helps us work together on models without losing changes. We don’t use Trimble connect for collaboration because it has several limitations.

How it Works

1. Split the Model: We break down the main model into smaller XRef objects, like separate files for Architecture (Arch), Mechanical, Electrical, and Plumbing (MEP), and Furniture.
  2. Work on Individual Parts: Each team member can create their own SketchUp file and import only the specific XRefs they need.
  3. Lock and Publish Changes: XRefs can be locked to prevent others from making accidental edits. Once finished editing, users publish their changes to the central disk location, allowing others to reload them.
  4. Maintain Personalization: This system allows each user to have their own scenes and additional objects in their models that they don’t want to share with others. It keeps XRefs clean and avoids unnecessary clutter.
  5. Precise Alignment: An additional helpful feature lets you insert XRefs into the exact same location in the model. This eliminates issues with misaligning different XRef objects.

We’ve also found the 5D+ Auto VBO extension to be extremely helpful, but that’s a separate topic for another discussion.

1 Like