I remember that Sketchup Used to -

… allow you to copy “holes” through shapes.

Make a circle… push through to the other side = hole.

Select the whole… ctrl+move to new location. New hole.

For a long time now… this no longer works. It was easily one of the most useful behaviors that SU had.
Am I hallucinating? Maybe I am mis-remembering it.

I think you might be mis-remembering. You can copy a hole on a flat face and get more holes and then extrude the face to 3D.

1 Like

I’m pretty sure I’m not misremembering… only because I was so blown away by the behavior… I’ve been using sketchup since the 1700’s (around the time of Isaac Newton)… to it’s either a really old feature, or such old memories are just wrong.

But like I said, I recall being amazed… then later after an update… I was shocked/bummed that it stopped doing it.

You know what it could be though… it could be NON THROUGH HOLES. They duplicate perfectly in the manner I describe.

It seems like a very small jump from being able to duplicate partial holes into an object…to duplicating a thru hole.

I wish the developers responded better to user needs :frowning: I’ve been asking for the hotkeys to be shown in tool tips for the better part of a decade… but nothing. (Mac has it. PC does not)

Thanks DaveR!

Yeah. Non-through holes will copy like that.

one can copy a through hole, then select the copies, copy then paste in place, but then still have to delete the surfaces

Hmm. Yeah, you’re right. At first, I thought I had done this, and then realized I’ve done something different:

• Draw the first hole shape
  • Make the copies
  • Push the first hole through
  • Then go around double clicking on the other hole shapes, and they just punch through.

This topic was automatically closed 91 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.