I need some advice about a new workstation

So i need a new laptop and i need advice whether spec is better for work. Price is almost the same and i need it as a portable workstation mostly for making amendments.

• Intel Core i5-8300H
    • 12 GB RAM
    • SSD SATA 240 GB
    • GTX 1050
    • Intel Core i5-8250H
    • 20 GB RAM
    • SSD SATA 480 GB
    • Radeon 530

A laptop with Nvidia graphics is IMO the better choice. Radeons have a long history of driver problems with SketchUp. Also, the GTX is quite much faster.

Also make sure those SSDs are M.2 NVME hard drives.

Why it’s important to have NVME instead of SATA?

Generally you are right…but:
Did you noticed any improvement on SketchUp, when you changed from sata SSD to NVME ?
I don’t think so…:wink:

1 Like

Couldn’t tell you as the ONLY M.2 units I have came with them and not SATA SSDs :wink: I do know that M.2 is supposed to be faster so why not go ahead and adapt to it? :stuck_out_tongue:

Why not go ahead and adapt to this and not have to mess with it later? Also very close in price so that’s NOT an issue any more.
SATA SSD: Sequential Read/Write speeds up to 550MB/s and 520MB/s
PCIe NVMe: Sequential reads/writes up to 2,000/1,750 MB/s

SAMSUNG 860 EVO Series 2.5" 1TB SATA III V-NAND $147.99

Crucial P1 1TB 3D NAND NVMe PCIe M.2 SSD $149.49

For basically the same price you can have a faster read/write speed. /shrug

First one have possibility to extend it with M.2 and sooner or later i’ll buy one but right now i think i don’t really have budget to buy proper NVMe. 240Gb is more than enaugh for CAD and Sketchup right now
My PC will need this upgrade too :wink:

1 Like

Are you buying an OEM system? Do you need me to wire you the $2 difference? :wink: <------just kidding

Last year I bought my son, started Mech engineering last Fall, a 15" G-series Dell laptop. It came with an NVMe PCIe ssd drive and SATA SSD storage drive. It was on sale when I bought it, $899.99 iirc. We did swap out the 256 for a 512. He has SU on it and is fast, well it’s a fast laptop ANYWAY

As a poor student from Poland :smile: i have very limited budget right now. And this won’t be mine main workstation cause i’m using PC so i don’t actually require super high performance from it.

1 Like

The right comparison would be with similar physical interface:
WD Blue 3D NAND 1TB PC SSD $125.99
You will gain up to 5 seconds pro week… in a usual situation. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Umm…not NVMe or I missed that part. Do recall that NVMe specific was the original part of my post. Getting an NMVe as opposed to a SATA SSD.

1 Like

Got it, I was once a student. I was happy to get my son his laptop. I know not everyone has that resource and one has to do what they can. No shame in getting what you can.
I spent more for his laptop than I did for my replacement desktop at home. I am only on it a bit with some occasional side work. Now if it was my main work station I could justify spending more on it. :wink:

1 Like

Don’t take it too seriously… Sometimes I need some mouth-karate… :v:t4: :grinning: