I need Another ESC key

on Sketchup , ESC key is important.
We used many times,
To exit nested group, To cancel measure tool, etc,

I am using Japanese keyboard.
in Japanese keyboard, ESC key is small.

I many time, many many time mis-type IME key instead of ESC key.
If I type IME key, All Sketchup short cut is disable.
“H”, “P”, “Q” , is not disable.

I need help to add another ESC key on my keyboard.
Using sketchup short cut, Is it possible ?

I want to use “SPACE” key to exit nested group or Exit from measure tool , etc, or Other key is also ok…

What if you got another keyboard to use for SketchUp? Get one with a full size Esc key. You could certainly do that sooner than waiting for the software to be changed to suit your request.

1 Like

If you use space for this purpose, you will override its default shortcut for activating the selection tool.

2 Likes

in Short cut menu,
There is no item for ESC key.
Can you find it ?

OK -

I applied ESC key on small button on my mouse.
It is not perfect. But I will try to get used to it.
2020-02-01_130524

Thank you , DaveR

Funny how workflow differs from person to person, I can’t remember ever using esc except when testing something for someone.

I wrote a script that adds a “Cancel Operation” menu item that sends ESC key.
Once added to the menu you can assign any key chord accelerator (shortcut) you wish.

2 Likes

It is funny. I use the Esc key quite a lot and, on a Mac keyboard, it is just as small as the Japanese version. I probably do hit the key below it sometimes by mistake but maybe it is not as bad as hitting the IME key.

I have a Logitech vertical mouse and have assigned one of the extra buttons to perform esc

Same here - kind of! My Logitech is the M570 trackball with 1 button assigned to esc - the other “extra” button is assigned to space.