I Need a version of Sketchup free that I can use when not on the internet

I drive a '91 Honda Accord. It’s still a great car.

Among other old programs, I use Photoshop CS4 and even have a PS plugin that lets me use my old 32-bit Photoshop plugins in my 64-bit install of Photoshop.

I never experienced any Selection lagging. But then I have always followed the hardware and software requirements of the programs I want to use. In SU’s case, that means exceeding the minimum hardware requirements for SU - which means my computer has a 100% OpenGL 3.0 compliant, dedicated graphics card (NVidia.) The MB integrated Intel graphics isn’t used for anything.

Integrated Intel graphics have a long history of iffy OpenGL support. Prior to SU17, SU’s reliance on OpenGL support from a graphics driver could be bypassed by disabling hardware acceleration in SU, meaning the program only uses the CPU. Quite a few SUppers clamor for better performance so SU17 upgraded its OpenGL requirements from version 2.7 to 3.0 and dropped the ability to bypass deficient graphics drivers to best meet the demand for more features and better performance (graphics cards with onboard, custom RAM and compliant drivers “enhance OpenGL performance upward of 3000 percent.”)

Drivers (and OS) are proprietary property of a manufacturer/developer. Just as all old OSs (i.e., XP, Vista) and old programs are not supported and updated, the same applies to older generation Intel graphics. What complicates Intel driver support is that computer manufacturers may tweak a driver to best work on the computer they sell - which may somehow compromise/remove some OpenGL function calls required by SU.

I don’t run out to buy the latest and greatest, rather I wait until the hardware wears out. That means I sometimes cannot update programs/apps. For example, waiting until last summer to upgrade the Nexus One phone Google gave me because it still worked even though the OS couldn’t be updated for several years and an increasing number of apps could not run on the older version of Android with its limited phone memory. So I just lived with what my hardware could do until it’s was time to get something new: which also better supported the latest and greatest apps. The unlocked Pixel with 128 GB memory I now enjoy is definity an improvement, but I managed to exist just fine with the old phone.

Getting back to the OP, @Petec , wanting a web version of SU to work offline is actually a feature request to have SU Free officially support offline use. It’s an oft repeated, reasonable request and should happen in time. Until the developers provide that feature and others critical things you want, SU has downloads of SU15-17 Make. Keep up with this sort of request as it help to mold the features and functionality of SU Free.

1 Like

This is the major problem. There needs to be a way to save backward compatible models.

There already are ways. Intentionally save using File>Save as… Or upload the file to the 3D Warehouse and let it convert it for you automatically.

?

Have you tried doing a File > Save As (or Save A Copy As) and choosing an earlier version from the file type dropdown menu?

I don’t see any options under Save As. (in the SketchUp Free, online version)
I was given a model by someone, and it wouldn’t open in the version I had. It said, “This object was created in a newer version”, it didn’t say which. So, I went to get the most recent version, which is online, and is all different, requiring me to re-learn where everything is. I don’t like it. I wanted to save an animation to send to someone, but I can’t see how to do that in this online version either.

Thanks.

You didn’t indicate you were talking about SketchUp Free. If you open the file in SketchUp Free, you can download it to your computer and it’ll come as a 2017 file. Or upload it to the 3D Warehouse and let it make the conversion for you.

You can still use SketchUp 2017 Make if you need to do things that haven’t been implemented in SketchUp Free yet.

Thanks DaveR. That is what I did and now I can get to my models. I’m sorry I caused such a $hit$torm but I was really scared.
But when I installed SU 2017 Make I got Style and Layout with it. This is how I got in trouble. Since I couidn’t use Layout and Style anymore (>30 days or whatever) I thought I would uninstall them since they take about 300M of drive space. (Stupidly) thinking when I did uninstall I would be able to select what to uninstall. Nope, everything went including SU.
But now I am back on my feet.
Thanks,
Pete

3 Likes

you can save to later version after you name your file click on the arrow by file type and select the version you want to save it in

Hey, i’m very new to all this and I had found this link to download SketchUp Make 2017 from youtube as you have quoted here. I have downloaded it for Mac and it all seems to be working fine however it does state in the license that its a 30 day SketchUp Make 2017 (Pro trail). When this ends will be left with Make if so this is more than good enough for what I need it for (just planning a van conversion to camper)
Thanks

Yes, if it was Make 2017 you downloaded.

Hi John,

Thank you for your help, I will start work then and get into the world of SketchUp.

This topic was automatically closed 91 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.