We need you to keep updating the make desktop version

Sketchup free is useless to a vast number of amateur woodworkers because of the false assuption that everybody have Access to internet everywhere. For many of us that is not the case in the shop. I would have to print out everything I need in the shop (Which is not a good environmental practice), and every time I need to do a small correction I’d have to drive back to my house, do the correction, reprint and drive back to the shop.
A friend of mine teaches sketchup to amateurs. He has the paid Version, but many of his pupils will be in the same situation as me. He considers switching platform because of this. If he does, this will happen for his business as well.
I will probably use the latest desktop version a while longer, but if it’s not updated, it will be a matter of time before I change platform. What a pity.

The vast majority of users of the free version have never even upgraded to SketchUp 2017 Make. They are still using old versions even back to V8 and earlier. The vast majority of non-paying SketchUp users aren’t affected by the fact that SketchUp 2017 Make is the last free desktop client version.

There’s no reason to think that 2017 Make will quit working any time soon.

Why do you think you are entitled to continued updates for SketchUp Make?

If I was able to afford a property that is so large that I need to drive between the shop and the main house, I would probably be able to afford the Pro version of SketchUp. Unless I’m missing the obvious?

SketchUp is a great tool, but investing resources into a product that you’re not making money from is probably not business 101.

To DaveR and Julian_Smith: I never said I was entitled to continued updates to Make. I just state that I think the move to the web-based sketchup free version is a mistake as many users don’t have access to internet in their shops.
It may be a while before using the 2017 version becomes difficult, but it still is the 2017-version, and it is not in any way marketing the benefits of the later versions. How long do you think the pro’s will give lections in using the 2017 version when they themselves are using up to date software?. Who do you think will pay for lectures in obsolete software?
The free sketchup Make have been the main reason for sketchup’s success up until now. It’s the large base of free users that has made it what it is today. Pro’s may have used it when they were apprentices and buys it when they go pro, they may hire people with ready made skills in using the free version and they may use the vast number of free plans in their own business.
Few if any hobbyists will pay 700 $ for the pro version, and the web based version will offer no significant marketing advantage for the pro version. Especially when it will not work for all the people without internet in the shop.

It’s the keen users who are interrested enough to upgrade the software and try out the benefits of the new functions that will be good Ambassadeurs for the pro version, no matter what the “Vast majority” does. I doubt the user of sketchup v8 will convince anyone to buy pro sketchup 2018, but nor will he buy it himself, so it’s no loss to sketchup. Still there is a significant number of interested young woodworkers who will be such ambassadours if given the opportunity.

To Julian_Smith: My shop is in a room in a barn which I rent from a local farmer. He has no internet, and I have no intent in installing it in his property. Many hobbyist woodworkers are in the same position.
Yes you were indeed missing the obvious, and I think such patronizing remarks is better left out of this discussion.
Sketchup is already investing more resources into making sketchup free than it would take to keep the free make version updated. It is the same software codebase with some limitations.

My greatest concern with the freeze of Make is that past OS updates have often broken SketchUp. Unless there are patches to Make this will eventually force people to choose between continuing an obsolete OS version or abandoning Make (and possibly SketchUp) altogether. As you note, changing to the web version is not a viable option for everyone.

with new issues probably arising on the macOS platform first.

Since no one else does it…

Form Z Free - “This version has no restrictions for professional, academic, or home use.”
BricsCAD Shape - “BricsCAD Shape is free of charge to everyone, with no commercial usage restrictions.”
Blender 3D - “Blender is the free and open source 3D creation suite.”
etc etc etc etc
I would imagine that SketchUp is a drop in the bucket on Trimble’s bottom line.

Most certainly if Apple drops x86 from their laptops and goes full Arm based units. I would imagine this would break SU Make pretty quick.

SketchUp Make 2017, the version we know & love, will be the same in the future. Sure, the Pro version will evolve every yearly update, but SketchUp Make will always be an amazing program. I’m thankful that SketchUp is keeping SketchUp Make free for hobbyists.

Pretty sure they (SU team) stated that no future development would be done on it unless they change their minds. That means if MS and Apple make some change to their OSes then there is a possibility that Make will no longer work. This is the point people are making. Apple has already stated that they are looking at going to Arm based laptops which would most likely mean a changed from OSX to iOS. Try and run Make on iOS :wink: Even if Apple releases some work around can you imagine how sluggish Make would be?

switching an application by losing the usage knowledge, native documents and (bought) extensions… maybe feasible for hobbyists but difficult for professionals where time is money.

One would think that would vary according to the user. I was just pointing out that there are companies that do that very thing. Sure most of the time it is a light version to get users interested in their software in hopes of future sales, no argument there. Meh YMMV in switching applications, again up to the user I would imagine .I’ve been using AutoCAD since R9 but I have had little problem in learning new CAD apps over the years. Some were easier than others for sure. I think that also speaks of the UI of the said programs. Example: Blender’s 1st releases were a nightmare but it has gotten better over the years. Similar with Form-Z.

if you know ACAD every other CAD is easy peasy :laughing:

Meh, I found it pretty easy to learn. YMMV of course :wink:

then you have probaly scratched the surface only, drafting some geometries isn’t understanding to the full extend :wink:

but your’re right, newer versions are getting better with the automatic snap, the automatic guide lines and the context sensitive cursor copied from Vellum which has introduced these importaunt GUI improvements in those days.

ah, meh of course.

Uh ok but I think that I know it quite well but what ever. It has come a long way since those r9 Dos days when I was in tech school.

I’ve started with AC r2.50 DOS on a XT 8088 w/ the 8087 math. co-pro emulated in software… man was that slow :sleeping:

Yes it was. We’d fight over the 386 pc in lab. It was the “fast” PC :wink:

that just not true

I’m just worried that SketchUp’s customers will go elsewhere because so many people are upset about the discontinuation (for lack of a better word) of SketchUp Make. I hope SketchUp changes their mind and continues to update SketchUp Make every year… Or at least enough to keep SketchUp Make compatible with the latest operating systems.