I checked under my model and found wholes in my walls and uneven surfaces. Help how do I solve this?

Hi,
I’m a new sketchup user. I’m modeling my first house but ran into a problem when trying to push a wall. I looked under my model and found hallow walls and uneven surfaces. How do I solve this?
MBL - Casa Smith - help.skp (1007.8 KB)

If you spend some time at The Learning Center, you will learn how to use the tools to get what you want. (interactive tutorials) Also, go to The SketchUp YouTube Channel and pay attention to the Square One series. Both are sponsored by the SketchUp Crew and well worth the time spent there.

1 Like

Thank you for your response. I understand how to use the tools but I don’t understand how this happened under my model. The hallow walls and uneven surfaces.

I’m just a novice myself, but this same thing happens to me when I used to push/pull from one giant flat sheet… which, looking at the texture/material on the tops of the walls, I suspect that you did. :wink: I’m sure someone here can explain exactly what went on, but until then… It looks like you may have push/pulled each part several times, creating several different under-heights.

You’re using groups sparingly and in strange ways, which is not a ‘bad’ thing, but also not helpful. I would group the walls entirely and not just the caps. Also, make the ‘ground’ a different group so that it’s not sticky and give it some depth so that it has a chance to fill in and become solid. This might be a bandaid (not sure) but if you’re not looking to 3D print it, it’s not the end of the world.

You’ve obviously put a lot of work into this, it shows. :smile: but there’s some cleanup that would help you.

Here’s what I said above (in regards to giving the floor some depth) applied to your file.
MBL - Casa Smith - help.skp (914.6 KB)

Here,
MBL - Casa Smith - help.skp (826.2 KB)

I went through and grouped and tagged while my son naps. If you turn on and off the tags, you will see what I meant by letting groups and tags be helpful. Hope you don’t mind.

@Danimaupin I don’t mind at all! Super grateful for your help and comments! I feel I’m already to deep in to start again hahah. I originally came across this because I was trying to push the square on this wall to create a whole but it doesn’t clear. Do you know why this may be happening?

I’m not sure, but I suspect a coplanar issue. I don’t know how to check that on the iPad, and I can’t see exactly where that wall has an issue, but the coplanar differences are more obvious in other areas of the model… where things aren’t exactly on an axis… none of the left-to-right walls in that part of the model are easily punched through.

Here’s a few photos showing some of the more obvious wandering lines.

I don’t have the solution, but there is a workaround. Because the walls don’t seem to have parallel sides, you kind of have to punch the hole in both directions. I pushed the first one past, then drew in the lines on the back surface and pushed that through, then erased what was extra. I bet one of the more talented users has the actual solve.

@Danimaupin thank you so much for all your help and feedback. i think I need to watch a couple of more tutorials :slight_smile:

1 Like