Hydraulic piston rotates and extends, dependent on another piston's movement

Hello Community.
I have spent a lovely afternoon trying to find examples and tutorials on how to get out of the hole I’ve dug for myself. (The suggested similar topics do not address exactly my problem.) The situation is shown in this model:

DC landing gear.skp (606.5 KB)

The assembly is one of three that extend legs for a landing capsule. (Yes, Mr. Musk and his SpaceX company has already done this, but I am unlikely to get a copy of his design. And anyway, it’s an exercise that if solved, can help me with more down-to-earth projects.)

There are two major components that move: LG_leg and LG_strut. In the actual object, the strut would power the leg from its vertical (UP) position and stop it in the extended (DOWN) position. The model shows the limits of travel of LG_leg. I can make LG_leg rotate, and I can make LG_strut rotate, But I can’t seem to get them to work together. It seems to me that if the sub-component LG_strut plunger (green) rotates and extends from the sleeve, that it should be possible for everything in LG_leg to move accordingly. (That’s how the real-world assembly would work.) But I could live with rotating LG_leg and extending it, and have the strut follow. The end result visually would be the same, and that’s all I’m really after.

So, my plea for help is as follows:
Have I set up the hierarchy of components properly to begin the attribute assignments, and I really need some help figuring out how to rotate an assembly while moving the components of it at the same time. Obviously the piston and sleeve must remain on the same (blue) axis. Also, how do I assign a location on one component to be the anchor for another component?

If this is doable, I’d love to learn how.

My alternate solution is to have the two configurations and dynamically hide and reveal one or the other.

Thanks.
Thom

1 Like

MSPhysics (a free SketchUp extension) might work, but it’s got a small learning curve. I’m still learning to use it myself. People animate robotics with that extension frequently.

What is this you want to do?
An example I made with MSPhisics.
deneme.skp (380.3 KB)

2 Likes

@ecati Yes, pretty much. Thanks.
But the leg piston should extend as shown in my illustration. Also, the foot needs to rotate as well.
@Forestr Thanks for the pointer to MSPhysics. It does indeed have a learning curve. Is there a tutorial somewhere?

You’re welcome. Yeah, Anton Synytsia made the extension and has tutorials on his Youtube channel.

I know. It’s what I do for example.
Note: The previous skp file is missing, it is actually this file.
deneme.skp (376.2 KB)
If you look on the internet you can find some tutorials. If you ask your questions in this forum, you can find better solutions.
http://sketchucation.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=323&t=64521&start=60

This topic was automatically closed 91 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.