HP Envy All In One 27

Has anyone had any experience using the HP Envy All In One? Looking at either this or a tower.

Here are the specs:
Operating system
Windows 10 Home 64
Processor
Intel® Core™ i7-7700T (2.9 GHz, up to 3.8 GHz with Intel® Turbo Boost Technology, 8 MB cache, 4 cores)
Graphics
NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 950M (4 GB GDDR5 dedicated)
Display
27" diagonal QHD IPS anti-glare WLED-backlit touch screen (2560 x 1440)
Memory
16 GB DDR4-2133 SDRAM (2 x 8 GB)
Maximum memory
Upgradeable to 16 GB
Memory slots
2 SODIMM
Hard drive
2 TB 5400 rpm SATA
Secondary hard drive
256 GB PCIe® NVMe™ M.2 SSD
Memory card device
3-in-1 memory card reader
Network interface
Integrated 10/100/1000 GbE LAN
Wireless technology
Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 8260 802.11a/b/g/n/ac (1x1) and Bluetooth® 4.2 Combo
Power supply
180 W external AC power adapter
External I/O Ports
4 USB 3.0; 1 USB 3.1 Type-C™ (Thunderbolt™ 3)

Looks good, for the most part. Beats my computers. Graphics card is, I think, OK with SketchUp, even if it is not the latest and greatest.

1 Like

Which graphics card would you recommend for the best performance?

CPU is key, for the GPU a GTX 1050Ti/1060 is typically sufficient.

probably a notebook mainboard with a mini PCI-E slot for the graphics card = no upgrade path for the GPU.

Thanks for the replies @Anssi @sketch3d_de
I am also looking for a solid laptop. I’ve read several other topics on the matter but do you have any suggestions?

My old ultrabook has Nvidia 620M graphics that are quite sufficient for my small models. When the graphics display in Sketchup starts lagging, it is mostly because the CPU has so many faces and edges to process. The graphics card is roughly responsible for rendering textures and shadows while your CPU takes care of the “geometry”. That is why SketchUp doesn’t really benefit from those ultracool latest expensive gaming cards.

It is quite another thing if you aim to use one of the newest rendering applications that have switched from using the CPU to the GPU (graphics system).

1 Like

CPU: recent Core i5/i7 quad (high-clocked)
GPU: GeForce GT(X)
RAM: 8-16 GB
System Disc: SSD
Display: IPS, matte

1 Like

the GTX 1050 is a cheap entry level version, the GTX 1060 lower mid-size… all starting below ~200 bucks… an integrated graphics sub-system is not made for OpenGL based 3D modeling and besides being slow often ‘blessed’ with a weak and/or unmaintained OGL driver support… and surely nothing to recommend people looking for a new system.

Totally agree. My reference to ultracool gaming cards was meant as general, not the exact models you referred to. I don’t know what options the HP all-in one would have. In my experience HP and Lenovo offer computers that are either a bit subpar for SketchUp or then off the mark “workstations” with, for instance, Nvidia Quadro graphics that very few people really need.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 91 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.