How to work with Layout and complex model

Hi! I still can’t figure out how to work correctly in Layout with models with hundreds and thousands of different parts.

How do I isolate some detail of the model to show it from all sides in the Layout?

Many people say that you need to put the Labels correctly. But if you have copies of the components, then how do you select exactly one of them in the Layout? After all, scenes won’t help in this case?

can someone give a link to a detailed video of the work in Layout, which concerns structures.

What are you modeling that has hundreds and thousands of different parts?

What labels are you referring to?

Use tags and tag folders to help isolate objects.

Yes they will. You need to establish scenes in the model to use for the viewports in LayOut.

You need to create scenes with the components (Parts should be grouped or made components) Use tags to stage what components you want to see and define the scene by using styles. Once all your scenes are created export to layout and open the various scenes in viewports in layout. there are a ton of videos on youtube that show all these concepts and practices.

From the Youtube site:
Search for Layout
From the SketchUp Campus:

Free courses, Layout included

tags. in many languages they’ve been translated to what should be label. like a tag on a suitcase, a piece of paper hanging by a thread (pretty much like the tag icons)
in other (like french), they picked lag in the “html tag” sense. nonsensical, but too late.

it’s often easier to isolate and zoom on stuff in sketchup.
prepare your views here, make scenes of it, and crossing over to layout becomes simpler than with a raw file

how isolate any component or group on a scene?

of course, I am amazed at how poorly the work with drawings is implemented. It takes the most time. I looked at how it works in other systems, for example, Fusion 360. Everything is done in a few clicks. And it is done precisely for the selected component of the model. And here it’s either the whole model or nothing. At the same time, I limit and show a small detail in the Viewport, but it feels like it works with the entire model anyway.

I build trampoline parks.

Are you using tags and scenes and components?

And how granular are your models that you wind up with thousands of parts?

yes, I do

it has at least about 300 pillars, each pilar has 3 parts, plus beams plus mats plus pads plus tons of other small things

Share the file and perhaps im sure we will have some insight.

As DaveR said, Tags & Tag Folders are the most effective tool to accomplish this.

I am of a different conviction than most people on this forum. You can accomplish all drawings in Layout using tags and tag folders with just the 5 standard views in 5 standard scenes. Because of the Sketchup Panel in Layout, if you have rock solid tag organization, you can literally choose all the variables of any view you need down to an individual part from the viewport.

The key is how you organize your parts. In your case, because a trampoline park is a large array of “spaces” with common parts. You can create groups for each space and have a tag system for those spaces. Let’s say you have a 9 space grid and you want to see the center one. If you turn off all the tags for the spaces around that center space you can now see that space in any standard view. This system can be repeated as you narrow into the details. But, you do have to spend a certain amount of time planning the tag/group/component organization system.

Of course, I might be starting a fire here with all the experts. As most will not recommend making any changes at all to a viewport in Layout. The prevailing method is to build the scene in sketchup instead. However, I have a fully functioning template that uses this system flawlessly. Im using it in real world projects and my time to setup Layout drawings packages with over 20 pages has been reduced to minutes instead of hours.

It is also worth noting that you have to educate yourself on solid Layout layer organization.

If you want some consultation time on this, send a DM.

1 Like

How many sections do you usually have, and how do you manage these in LO without scenes, (aside from maybe setting up a separate style for each section?)

all sections are managed with tags. Don’t need section cuts except for odd cases.

Ok, this is where it would fail for me. I have anywhere from 6-20 section cuts in a model. Maybe more sometimes.

Thank you!
Does the presence of the entire model (all tags are enabled) or only some part of the model (almost all tags are disabled) somehow affect the speed of LayOut? I don’t understand why mine is slowing down, although only a very small part of the entire model is in the viewport.

Turn off everything you don’t need to see and see if that helps (it should)…

The LayOut file contains a copy of the entire SketchUp model. The “slowing down” depends on a number of things. The rendering type you choose for the viewports, the number of edges that LO has to rendering in Vector or Hybrid rendering, the size of textures in the model, etc. Make sure your model is clean and not bloated with unneeded detail. Ensure tag usage is correct. Purge unused components and materials from the model, make sure texture images aren’t overly large. Turn off tags for things you don’t need to see in the scenes you are using for the viewports. Leave viewports rendered as Raster as much as possible.

Since you are using LO 2022 you’ll need to manage that carefully. In LO 2024 the experimental graphics engine and the Draft Mode options can help to speed things up more.

There are some videos on level of detail on the SketchUp YouTube sie that may assist with your workflow.

1 Like