How to reset all components axis and rotation

Oooops. What a mess. I’ve got all my components jumbled up and I’ve lost spatial alignment to global axis. Thus, the Top, Left, Right and Bottom views are wrong.

Can someone guide me through how to reset all this please.

Floating_Bed-v2.skp (273.4 KB)

Best is (less stress) to make each object a component, not a group.
The axes may be wron at first. It’s easy to correct them and the local origin later.

For instance the matras.
Select all of its geometry > right click on selection > select 'Make Component …> Definition “matras”
The axes will be according to the systems axes thus not what you ultimately want.
Right click on the “matras” component > select ‘Change Axes’ and set them along the matras.

Now bring in a new instance of the “matras” component into your modeling space (see your ‘In Model’ component library’ for the components in your model). It will be aligned correctly according to the systems axes.

1 Like

thank you sir.

but, that would require me to repeat your instruction for every component/instance and to effectively redraw the model.

is there no quicker efficient way?

If the undo stack is gone (saving the file) or if you do not have saved when it was good, redrawing is the quickest way.
at least, the bed is floating :slight_smile:

Floating_Bed-v2.skp (441.9 KB)

what?

Somehow, you messed things up.I do not know when, though, that can only be recovered in the ‘live’ Undo stack. Saving will clear the undo stack.
In the attached file, I have reset some axes.
The drawing axis were also placed on a different place and set in a different direction.
When you create groups or components, the insertion point is created with the drawing axis in mind (along with the bounding box of the created group. The standard views are always with the original drawing axis in mind.
You can check if you have set the drawing axis by rightclicking on one of the axis (nothing underneath) and see if the ‘reset’ is grayed out or not.

Edit: the gif was merely to indicate the dazzling effect the uploaded file had on me…:smiley:

You need to first reset the drawing axes. Right click on the drawing axis and choose reset from the contextual menu.

Not sure why you have some components in the browser but all groups in the model.

Then resave the groups as components. They will come oriented square to the model when you load them from the Component browser.

When you do this the texture will not be saved because you’ve applied the texture to the groups, not to the faces.

For the mattress you need to make a component and it will still be askew, but easy to orient.

I cannot say why when I did this in your model, the mattress colors were not saved, since they were applied to the faces. It worked when I imported to a new model.

Your file crashed on me. For such a small file, I suspect it is corrupt, and it might be better to copy the good stuff you have into a new file. I don’t think you have to rework every nested component or group, if the main components are oriented as you want. If the head board is oriented correctly to the frame, I’d copy that and “paste in place” into the frame group before you make the group a component.

I only had to put into a new model, and reorient the mattress axes after making it a component. The others got reoriented by making components as above. I used a plugin to move the group materials to the faces inside the group (but you can do that with the bucket tool). The correctly placed items were loaded from the Component Browser.

Oops! I didn’t notice the blocking wasn’t grouped with frame. Copy and paste in place inside the frame group before making the frame group into a component.

1 Like

It’s more or less what the other posts tell you. Your groups (unfortunately not components yet) in the modeling space have various orientations, making a single operation solution unlikely with native tools.
For your bed my solution would take just a few minutes at most.

With Curic Reset Rotation, Fredo6 Tools and thomthom: Axes Tools

Resetting the axes of the long rail of the frames won’t fix the skewed beam itself, somehow, it is not square anymore

This isn’t a complex model. Seems like the fastest and easiest approach would be to start over and model it correctly from the beginning.

My way is pretty fast.

But figuring out how to do it right from the beginning is valuable. (I am baffled how it could get like this though.)

2 Likes

In addition to fixing the screwed up axis orientation, faces need to be corrected and at least in Jack’s version of the file, the bed frame isn’t centered on the base nor is the headboard centered. And I guess I wouldn’t think of the back side of the headboard as the front of the bed.

And are these really the right dimensions?

Redrawing it correctly took only a few moments. I did have to guess at some of the dimensions since the existing ones didn’t make any sense.

1 Like

I got tumbled away…:grinning:

1 Like

very good, you’ve proved how clever you are, however useless to me as there is no guide to follow.

what? might as well responded in Russian , sorry

I used fundamental modeling methods; the basics which you’ve already told us you know. I started with the base and made a component for the long side of the base, copied it over to the right hand position, modeled the short rail in between, made it a component and made copies of it. Then I started on the upper frame modeling the side rail, making it a component, copying it and continuing to add parts in place. No need to reset component axes or rotation because everything is modeled where it needs to be in the correct orientation.

With the side rails in the right places the lengths of the cross rails aren’t needed, you just draw them to fit. Let SketchUp tell you how long they are.

I discovered a subtle yet fundemental “feature”

if i select an entity and then use the scale tool and grab a corner (as i was advised to do on this forum),drag to resize and enter the exact mm i need, then then all connected geometry is also resized BUT proportional to the measurement i typed in. NOT what i want.

BUT if i grab a center red marker on a face, and drag that , then i can resize that face AND joined geometry is NOT modified . I can then proceed to resize other faces in the same manner , thus resizing the entire entity using absolute measurements rather than relative.

job done!

Or do it all in one:
Hit ‘S’
Grab a corner, move the mouse in a direction.
Let go of the mouse and type the three dimensions with units, divided by the seperator:
(100cm;170cm;200mm)

1 Like

Somehow I never learned this… Thanks!