How to recover a file after a bugsplat?

Perhaps @marceltanure could hire (pay) @DaveR to show how to fix up the file? The file is apparently part of a professional engagement, so hopefully @marceltanure can afford the cost to learn how to be self-sufficient for the future.

1 Like

Unfortunately this is not for me but my boss, and dollar here in brazil is 6x my currency

Have you tried to reproduce the first steps that Dave has already shown - fix the tag usage and purge unused things in the model?

yes, but it didnt loose 60% of size

Are you still able to work with the file, without frequent bug-splats? If so, that seems like success to me; I’m not sure what more is necessary to make you or your boss happy.

Regarding the reduced file size, perhaps Dave saved the file in SketchUp 2021 format, which is ZIP-compressed? Your profile indicates that you are using SketchUp Pro 2020, which does not perform compression on SKP files.

1 Like

thank you very much DaveR

Is the 2021 version more efficient and “heavy models friendly”?

SketchUp versions have steadily improved in performance, but the basic limitations still stand. When the polygon count reaches millions, zooming and orbiting starts to slow down, whatever your hardware specs. The model you posted and Dave reviewed will be slow.

I can see…because is very heavy but is consuming just a little part of the pc memory.
When it will be possible to sketchup use all the memory of the computer?

As @Anssi mentioned above, we all assume that SketchUp gets incrementally better over time regarding basic geometry management. One semi-related and obvious change that was introduced with SketchUp 2021 is that .SKP files are now internally ZIP-compressed, as I noted in my earlier reply. This significantly reduces the on-disk storage requirements for a typical model (but it has essentially no effect on the amount of RAM consumed by the SketchUp process during run-time).

None of us community members know how SketchUp uses RAM at run-time. I think it’s fair to say that SketchUp will request as much memory from the host operating system as it needs. If you have a model with a lot of complicated component instances, you might try making a copy of the .SKP file, exploding all the components in the copy, then check the memory consumption. It will likely be higher. :slight_smile:

Your example screen-shot shows about 1.8GB of memory consumed. That is a moderately large amount. On my Mac (which has 32GB memory) with SketchUp 2018, I often see 1GB to 3GB with moderately large models. Currently I have a model open with 1.7 million edges and 870 thousand faces, and the Activity Monitor tool shows 1.58GB of memory in use, for what that’s worth.

So, I can give up the idea of buying more memory ram? It will keep giving me hard times? I have 32GB but I was thinking upgrading to 64

If you see that most of the available memory is in-use “often enough” (to your taste), then adding more memory might be worth it. RAM is fairly inexpensive these days (when purchased from reputable companies but not necessarily from computer vendors).

I doubt that SketchUp pays any attention to how much memory is available when SketchUp needs to use more memory. SketchUp will surely request from the operating system as much memory as it needs. Adding an additional stick of RAM will not in itself cause SketchUp to request more memory (for a given SKP model file).

The operating system has strategies for managing situations where the net one of memory across all running applications approaches or exceeds what is physically available. There are various techniques including paging, swapping, and compression to use less RAM (typically by temporarily pushing some regions of memory out to the computer’s hard drive or solid-state drive. When this happens, performance tends to slow down (the impact to performance depends greatly on the details of how applications use memory and which applications are active concurrently). I think that both Windows and macOS have tools that reveal how much paging or swapping occurs. If you determine that there is notable amounts of paging or swapping, then adding more RAM will help to reduce that, and therefore in turn help to increase performance in certain situations.

In the screen-shot you shared earlier in which 35% of the computer’s memory was in use, adding extra RAM would not make a difference to performance.

Thanks for your time and consideration TDahl, but why it shows here in the task command screen that sketchup is only using a considerable little part of my computer capacities when the spftware is having trouble with the model?

I think that this situation only helps to feed the theory that haunts forums around the world, that the program is actually only 32bit,

not taking advantage of all the computer’s resources. This drives me crazy and my dream is to one day sit with the owners and programmers of this program and clarify my doubts, give advice and say everything else that is in my throat. Only god knows how we, artists and architects suffer with the constant bugsplats e periodical screen freezings that we dont see in Lumion or other similar softwares, I am not criticizing, I love skp, I got used with the software dynamic workflow and there is no way changing it for another, but I dream about a day where skp would be fast and strong with very detailed and complex models. Its about time.

I’m not sure what application you are viewing that in, but here is what Task Manager shows:

The installer is 32 bit because it needs to be able to tell 32 bit system users that SketchUp requires 64 bit.

1 Like