How to move a pulled geometry

Hi, I’m a newbie and really like SketchUp!
I’m having difficulty positioning an object I pulled up that you see in Offset ledge #1. I created a 8mm ledge that I must move 4mm up the adjacent wall. The pieces on other side of the model are all at the same flat level. Once I move the ledge up, there would be a 4mm depression on the other side where the ledge is. I’ve been trying for a few hours now and haven’t been able to do it. Does anyone have some ideas about how to accomplish this?
Thx! Pierre

Offset ledge #1

no you’re on the right path, if I understand correctly.

the first step would be, indeed, to make the ledge 4mm thicker. pull and hop !
the second step would be to go look under the guitar, and push the ledge 4mm inside the guitar’s body.
you might need to re-offset the ledge’s contour (because right now it’ll push everything)

if you share your file, I (or anyone else) can show you a step by step. or wait 5 min so I can draw a similar situation :wink:

ok, so let’s say this is a guitar. like yours.

first, i grab the ledge and pull it 4mm. now it’s 4mm too thick, and it still touches the ground.

then I pivot and look at the bottom. on the bottom, I’ll offset the hole (pre-selecting the hole’s contour helps) so it matches the ledge’s width.

then I can push this time, 4mm up.

as a result, the ledge “moved” 4mm up. and now it’s even easier to adjust up and down, or even make thinner or thicker. just push on side, and pull the other side :slight_smile:

3 Likes

If I understand what you need, the simplest approach might be to use pushpull to move the top surface of the ledge up 4mm, then orbit to look at the bottom surface and pushpull it up 4mm as well.

Edit: @ateliernab posted nice pictures of exactly the same process while I was typing.

2 Likes

Thx!..I’ll go back and give it a try.

Pierre

Thx for the work you put into this…I tried with my object but couldn’t get it going. So I created a basic rectangle and the steps you gave me worked like a charm, so I was able to reproduce your solution and it works perfectly. The issue I’m having might have to do with the many segments that seem to make up my geometries. I’m including another pic (Only one at a time allowed for newbies!)
The object at the right is the test rectangle. I highlighted a few segments on my ledge and as shown, the ledge is made up of several individual lines. I tried to Weld them, but to no avail.

I have to get supper ready for the crew and will come back a little later.

Thx, Pierre
Offset ledge #3

hmmm wait, just from the photo it seems ok… maybe there is a tiny hole in the contour you’ve partially selected

you confirm that you can’t push JUST this part, right ?

a8c30b2c5eec05698e841abeca8749c0f624c206

at this point, the easiest would be to… see directly your file :slight_smile:
could you share it here please ? (just drag it in the answer area, or through wetransfer / drive / else)

if your project is sensitive, just share the half-body we’ve seen already :wink:

hey Nab, here’s the reduced model with area giving me trouble.
Frame For Forum.skp (186.9 KB)

I appreciate your help!
Pierre

uh… you can’t push ? I can, the face is fine. just click push pull, click on the face, and push 4mm. no need to select the contours or anything, just an old fashion pushpull :slight_smile:
here it is, in SU2017 version :slight_smile:

Frame For Forum.skp (186,9 Ko)

What a moronic mistake I made while using push/pull. When on the other side, I ran into an issue where my model was hollow when I pulled geometries up. I used a solution by Justin Geis which worked perfectly…you hold the CTRL key and then pull up. It creates/leaves the floor surface. When I flipped my model over I continued pressing CTRL when pushing, forgetting that it created a new surface at the original location. Without pressing CTRL, it works as advertised! DAH! I’m embarrassed!
Thx for helping me out and I apologize for taking your time away from other things!
Pierre

1 Like

so in a way, you could say that on this one, you were a…
…control freak

:sunglasses: :sunglasses:

but yeah, that’s how you learn, stupid mistakes. :slight_smile: most mistakes feels, in a way, stupid once you see them.

Good play on words! Thx again for your help! Pierre

I guess you’re probably all set but I’ll just offer this.

If I were modeling this thing I would start with the outline as a 2D face but I would not add the outline for the recessed area until the thing is 3D. I would extrude the face up to the height of the top of the ledge and then add that outline. I would use Move/Copy to copy it to the bottom of the 3D shape as well. Then I would extrude the top upward to the required height, orbit to underneath, and push in the face to make the recess on the bottom.

This is very quick and simple and also avoids the exposed back faces that your model shows. It results in a solid object without requiring any of the cleanup that is required in the method you were using. If this is to be 3D printed those exposed back faces need to be corrected.

1 Like

Thx alot Dave. This is definitely a good approach to design and the issue of hollow parts is something I need to fix to eventually produce a physical object. I’ll redo my model using your approach to save me headaches down the road.

Thx again for your feedback!

Cheers, Pierre

1 Like

Hi Dave, I followed your procedure and it worked beautifully. No hollow sections!
Thx! Pierre

2 Likes