How to make topography from points

Hi I am having the same problem with making the points into the surface. Ive been running Fredo Toposhaper and it keeps aborting.
Its been trying for a few hours now so maybe I am doing something wrong? or maybe the points are not correct. [[points.skp (223.1 KB) ](http://)](http://)

I am uninstalling and reinstalling the extensions to see if that corrects it.

Well, you have no guide points in the model for Toposhaper to work with. Instead you have 388 instances of a component that contains 2 edges. Uninstalling and reinstalling Topshaper won’t change the fact that your model isn’t set up correctly for the extension.

After replacing the crossing lines with guidepoints that are not in separate component but loose inside the larger component, Toposhaper works just fine.

Hi Dave,

Ok that makes sense, thank you. I’ll redraw the lines as guidepoints.
The model came through from a topo survey and they said it worked fine in Archicad so should do for sketchup, but apparently not!.
Thanks for your help.

Hi there,
Ive created a Topo file but instead of using guide points (or guide clouds) I actually drew the lines (with the measurement). Is there any way I could transfer the lines to guide clouds? Or anyway to save me all that extra work?
Cheers3D TOPO Bradmore way .skp|attachment (15.5 MB)

Your file is too large to upload here. Could you upload it to Drop Box and share the link?

Sure. thanks!

1 Like

Do you need the points or do you really just want to create a terrain surface? The latter could be done with From Contours in the Sandbox tools.

1 Like

Hi Dave, thanks for the help. I’ve done the sandbox from contour but thought the toposhaper plugin gives you a more accurate terrain

I see. You could use TIG’s Add Vertex from Sketchucation to put guidepoints at the ends of the vertical lines. It’ll put them at the bottom, too so you’ll need to deal with them.

thank you so much!

Fredo’s Curvizard will also give you guide points from edges.

Hi Dave, would you have the link for it. Trying to search for it but nothing :frowning:
Thank you!
Actually, is it this?

You can get Add Vertex at this link.

Better, install the Sketchucation Tools extension and then let it automatically install Add Vertex and other extensions you might get from Sketchucation.

Edit: Yes, that’s the link.

1 Like

@pattyleo

Toposhaper can actually be less accurate. To provide an orderly network of triangles, Toposhaper provide an approximation between the vertices. This is especially useful what you need to edit the terrain .

SketchUp’s FromContours feature is more accurate as it stitches the triangles from vertex to vertex creating a TIN (Triangulated Irregular Network). This is more accurate but the resulting terrain can be more difficult to modify.

CD

1 Like

hello, everyone.
i have a small addition question to the theme.
what-a-… are all these peaks and potholes in the surface? and what could be done to flatten them out? what should be adjusted during the calculation?
i have the same issue with my terrain - no points too high or too low were there, but i got a huge peak and a huge pothole at one place, and several small ones in some other places.
what should i do to fix this?
thank you.

Share the file so we can see what you’ve got and give you an idea for fixing it.

Hi Dave
Super helpful thread.
I have the 3D information imported from a CAD file but it does create the points as a little cross.
Is there a way of replacing these crosses with a guidepoint in a bulk action instead of doing each one individually ?

Thanks in advance

Tim

It might be possible. It depends on how those little crosses are handled in the model.

How many points are there? Can you share the .skp file?

Probably you don’t have to do that. Sandbox from Contours or TopoShaper can create a terrain from any geometry that is at the right height. It doesn’t have to be continuous contour lines or. for Toposhaper, guidepoints.