How to import model ON TOP of surface?

I can’t seem to import or make a group / component visible on top of the ground surface. Only when I move it up on the blue axe it’s above and visible. The edges of the group are visible but it’s surface is not. I’ve removed everything, groups, ground surface, but I can’t seem to fix it, any idea where’s the problem? (Mostly it does work but sometimes like now I have this problem and I don’t know what went wrong).

Without seeing your model or at least a screenshot, we can only guess.
You can attach images and models but using the 7th icon from the left at the top of the window where you type your message.

check the insertion point of the component: right-click on the component and choose ‘Change Axes’

I cant insert the file, it’s too big. I will make a screenshot

Thank you for your suggestion but that doesn’t solve it either. When I decrease the component height till zero it dissapears.

How do you decrease the height of the component?

Open the component, double click the top face until it’s marked, push pull it down on the blue axe

From the screenshots, I would say that you are experiencing ‘Z-fighting’ : the faces of the different groups/components ar on the same plane (Z-Axe, in this case)
The render engine does not know which is to be displayed.
As SketchUp is a 3D modeler, to avoid this, moving components up would prevent the Z- fighting, but a better solution is to cut the face on which you would place the group.

Daniel Tall has some intresting video’s about landscaping:
http://danieltal.com/

I understand so that’s why I gave height to the 2D although that’s not what I wanted (because it’s more difficult to draw to the right line in 2D) but there is no other way then to give height and make it visible? I only have problem once in a while, in 90% there’s no problem like this and groups and components are visible without giving height.

What do you mean with cut the face?

Some things to look into:
. Components that glue to a face and even cut opening(s) in that face they are placed on
. Insertion points of components ( their local origin) and their gluing plane ( their local red/green plane)
. In Window > model info > components > check the box to show component’s axes to see their origin and axes. Then maybe change them to obtain better insertion points when bringing them into your modeling space. This is what @MikeWayzovski was also referring to a couple of posts above.

1 Like

Thank you @Wo3Dan, axes seem to be right (the same as the underground surface).

• It seems like the face has no openings as it is a solid face
  • How can I check the orogin insert point of a component?

By enabling ‘Show component axes’, see my previous post.

That local origin is the insertion point of a component.

Thank you very much but I dont know how to interpret this, I see the axes but I don’t know what they should be so I don’t know if there is something wrong. Thanks for your effort but I guess I’m a bit of a dummy…

(Moet nu even weg. Leg het later wel uit)

1 Like

Components (like 2D plants) can cut openings in a face, however not in multiple adjacent faces at the same time. The origin still needs to be moved to the center, the logical location.

The correct origin location of components can be important for correct shadows and it makes placing components easier

This topic was automatically closed 91 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.